Data Analytics (MS)
“Learning from data is virtually universally useful. Master it and you’ll be welcomed
– John Elder, Elder Research
units to degree
The Master of Science in Data Analytics (MSDA) program offered by the Department of Applied Data Science is developed in partnership with industry experts from Silicon Valley. The program is designed to serve students from diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
This transformative program was launched in 2018. More than 110 Silicon Valley companies have employed MSDA students for internships and permanent positions. In order to enroll additional students to meet industry demands with the limited amount of funding received from the State of California, the MSDA program offers two plans: regular session and special session. Both plans provide students with the same curriculum and diploma, but have different tuition and fees.
Students receive the advanced education necessary to apply analytics to solve real-world problems by immersing them in the full data analytics process lifecycle. Students learn how to build portfolios of data analytics projects by leveraging the interrelationship between domain data knowledge and emerging information technologies. Students advance their knowledge and skills through the integration of:
- Identifying domain specific problems, defining requirements, and establishing measurable organizational objectives.
- Performing data exploration, preparation, visualization and governance.
- Applying programming, statistics, database, data mining, and machine learning technologies to build models for descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Engaging in the development, validation and monitoring of data analytics systems to meet requirements and objectives.
|Sign up for email notifications|
Program Learning Outcomes
- Integrate multidisciplinary knowledge to engage in practical data analytics projects, from analyzing requirements to managing data, building models, presenting results, and assessing societal impacts.
- Identify, use, and evaluate current and emerging multidisciplinary data analytics technologies and tools.
- Apply effective oral and written communication skills necessary for professional work including collaboration and presentation to multidisciplinary audiences.
- Perform independent research in applying data analytics to specific domains.
- Utilize quantitative skills from a rich foundation of essential knowledge to solve complex, dynamic, and practical data analytics problems in various professional domains.
- Work productively as individuals and in teamwork to perform data analytics tasks as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Identify ways in which data analytics professionals can contribute to the cultural, economic, educational and social well-being in diverse and multicultural local, national and global contexts.
Interdisciplinary Curriculum: Features a comprehensive curriculum jointly developed by the College of Business, the College of Engineering, the College of Professional and Global Education, the College of Health and Human Sciences and the College of Science.
Career-Aligned Opportunities: More than 110 Silicon valley commpanies have hired MSDA students and graduates have for internships and full-time positions, These companies include Adobe, Airbnb, Amazon, Capital One, Cisco, Facebook/Meta, Google/Alphabet, IBM, Intel, Intuit, Juniper, Lucid, PayPal, Tesla, Uber, Visa, VMWare, Waymo, etc.
Outstanding Faculty: Academic and industry experts provide students with a industry-aligned curriculum and a wide range of practical knowledge and experience in data analytics.
Affordable Education: There are 10 courses, for a total of 30 graduate-level units, to fulfill the requirements for a Master of Science in Data Analytics degree. For Acedemic year 2021-22, tuition and fees cost to complete all 10 special session courses is $22,500. Refer to the FAQ's section for the cost of regular session courses.
- STEM Degree Program: Classified as a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) degree program and meets course requirements for F-1 visa holders.
Your Career Opportunities
Today most organizations treat analytics as a strategic asset, and analytics is central to many functional roles and skills. This program prepares students for a career in data analytics in almost all industry domains. Potential career roles for graduates include data analyst, data administrator, business intelligence analyst, and information research scientist. With a Master of Science in Data Analytics from San Jose State University you will have access to a wide variety of career choices, and to top Silicon Valley companies.
Applying to the Program
Please follow the Application steps to apply for the MSDA program.
Please review the Admission Requirements to see what you will need to be admitted to the MSDA program.
Go to Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about the program and the application process.
For any additional information, please email your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For you to participate and receive credit from online classes at San Jose State University, your state of residence must have a reciprocity agreement in place with CSU. This agreement provides online students with consumer protection. For a complete list of participating states and details on the regulation, please visit sjsu.edu/extend/state-auth/.