COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements
Last Updated: September 16, 2022
All students must submit their COVID-19 vaccination requirements and comply with the Presidential Directive 2021-02 [pdf] and CSU COVID-19 Policy. This requirement includes completing the COVID-19 vaccine primary series and booster shot, when eligible.
Submit Proof of Vaccination
Incoming students must complete the two-step process to be compliant:
1. Report your vaccination status using the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form. You will be asked to certify your current vaccination status and, at this time, you can indicate if you qualify for a religious or medical exemption. You can also indicate if you will not be accessing campus facilities during the semester. Students requesting a religious exemption can upload their supporting documentation as an attachment on the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form. Prior to submitting a religious exemption form, please convert the PDF into a .BMP, .JPG, .JPEG, .GIF, and .PNG, type attachment. All other attachment types will not be accepted.
2. Submit verification on the Student Health Center Patient Portal. You will need to submit proof of your COVID-19 vaccination record, which must include all doses you've received to date. At this time, you can upload documentation to request a medical exemption. Proof can include a scanned/photocopy of your vaccine card or a record containing all of the following: full name, date of birth, manufacturer/brand of vaccine, vaccine lot number, administration dates and sites. Please ensure all information is visible and legible in English to prevent delays in verification.
Submit Booster Requirement
On December 22, 2021, the CSU announced that all CSU campuses will require students, faculty and staff accessing university facilities to receive a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot to remain in compliance with the CSU’s vaccination policy.
At SJSU, all booster-eligible students who are registered for hybrid or in-person classes are required to update their vaccination status and upload a record of their booster shot. To remain in compliance with the CSU COVID-19 Policy, you must upload a record of your booster shot when eligible. Students who are not in compliance will be subject to disciplinary action under the Student Code of Conduct including testing protocols, registration holds, and limited access to campus resources.
To be considered fully vaccinated, boosters are required for anyone who meets one of the following:
- Received a Johnson & Johnson vaccination shot more than two months ago
- Received their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna more than five months ago
Per CDC guidelines, students who received the recommended doses of WHO-EUL COVID-19 vaccinations abroad more than 5 months ago can receive a single booster shot of Pfizer.
Medical and religious exemptions may be requested for the booster with appropriate documentation. Previously granted exemptions that are not time-limited will apply to the booster.
If you are currently not eligible for the booster shot, visit sccfreevax.org or myturn.ca.gov to make an appointment once eligible. Once you receive your booster shot, upload your documentation to remain in compliance with the vaccination policy.
Submit verification on the Student Health Center Patient Portal. You will need to submit proof of your COVID-19 vaccination record, which must include all doses you've received to date.
If you have changes to your vaccination status or plan to be on campus for classes or extracurricular activities this semester, update the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form.
Proof can include a scanned/photocopy of your vaccine card or a record containing all of the following: full name, date of birth, manufacturer/brand of vaccine, vaccine lot number, administration dates and sites. Please ensure all information is visible and legible in English to prevent delays in verification. You must include all vaccine doses received.
If you have previously submitted a COVID-19 vaccine record on the Student Health Center Patient Portal, navigate to "Medical Clearances", then "COVID-19 Vaccine" to submit additional documentation for the booster. On the landing page under COVID-19 vaccine history, click on the green button "Add Immunization," enter the date and select the appropriate booster accordingly from the list of vaccine options in the drop-down menu.
Instructions to Submit COVID-19 Vaccination Record for Verification on Patient Portal
- Prepare your COVID-19 Vaccination Record. Create a digital copy/picture of your COVID-19 Vaccination document. A smartphone photo will work.
- Navigate to the Student Health Center Patient Portal (link below)
- Enter your SJSU ID number and password
- Duo Authentication is required prior to logging in
- Enter your Date of Birth
- Navigate to Medical Clearances tab on the left panel
- Navigate to COVID-19 vaccine tab.
- Complete COVID-19 vaccination information (i.e. dosage dates, vaccine type/manufacturer name)
- Click the "Update" button to upload your COVID-19 vaccination record. Please attach a translated copy in English if your record is in a different language.
- To submit a medical exemption, please complete the Medical Exemption Request Form and upload the completed form by clicking on COVID-19 Record Upload button.
- If your COVID-19 vaccination record does not meet verification guidelines, you will be notified via secure messages in your Student Health Center patient portal to take further action or submit additional documents.
Check Your Verification Status
Once you have uploaded your documentation, please allow 2-10 business days for your record to be processed and verified. If your COVID-19 vaccination record does not meet verification guidelines, you will be notified via secure messages in your Student Wellness Center patient portal to take further action or submit additional documents.
Download the medical exemption form [pdf]. This form must be submitted on the Student Health Center Patient Portal. Note: the Student Health Center Patient Portal does not accept religious exemptions.
Students will be notified via secured message in the Patient Portal if their exemption has been approved. Please allow 2-10 business days for your record to be processed and verified. If approved, students will also be notified about participating in required COVID-19 safety measures.
Download the religious exemption form [pdf]. Please submit your supporting documentation for a religious exemption on the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form. Note: the Student Health Center Patient Portal does not accept religious exemptions. Please make sure that your document upload is in the following formats: BMP, .JPG, .JPEG, .GIF, and .PNG, type attachment. All other attachment types will not be accepted.
Students can check the status of their religious exemption in their MySJSU account. Due to the increased volume of screening, verification may be delayed. If approved, students will also be notified about participating in required COVID-19 safety measures
For questions about COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
INCOMING FALL 2022 STUDENTS
Incoming Fall 2022 students have additional immunization requirements which they must satisfy prior to the first day of classes. Newly matriculated students must also submit proof for the following:
CSU Required Immunizations:
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Meningococcal Conjugate: (Serogroups A, C, Y and W-135)
- Tetanus/Pertussis/Diphtheria Booster (Tdap)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox Vaccine)
- Tuberculosis screening/risk assessment: all incoming students must also complete a tuberculosis screening questionnaire in their Student Health Center Online Services/Patient Portal.
Per CSU Executive Order 803, incoming students who are at higher risk for TB infection, as indicated by answering “yes” to any of the screening questions, should undergo either skin or blood testing for TB infection within one year of CSU entry.
For more information regarding Immunization Requirements, please visit our immunizations page