BA in Interdisciplinary Studies, Educational and Community Leadership Concentration (BAIS)
The BA in Interdisciplinary Studies with a concentration in Educational and Community Leadership* empowers graduates to become social justice leaders in their communities. The program is designed to enhance graduates' opportunities to advance in the fields of education, child and youth services, community organizations, and social services. Offered by the Department of Educational Leadership, the curriculum weaves together a variety of academic disciplines to examine societal inequities, as well as methods to combat them through accentuating a community’s strengths.
All courses are held online allowing students to work while completing their degree
Brings together a variety of academic disciplines with a focus on: Early childhood development or inclusive education, promoting social justice, and leadership skills
This program offers a combination of asynchronous (self-paced) and synchronous (real-time) learning. You can complete work around your schedule, while also blending real-time, traditional learning alongside your classmates.
The program features dedicated faculty focused on teaching, scholarship, and service.
Your Career Opportunities
The concentration in Educational and Community Leadership targets professionals in pre-K through 12 education to earn a college degree and advance in their careers.
Apply to the Program
The application process and criteria are available on the Transfer Admissions website.
- Completion of at least 60 transferable semester units or 90 quarter units.
- Completion of all CSU Lower Division GE (39 units).
- Completion of all four CSU-approved General Education requirements with a C- or higher.
- (A1) Oral Communication/Speech
- (A2) Written English Composition
- (A3) Critical Thinking/Logic
- (B4) Math/Quantitative Reasoning (above the level of intermediate algebra)
- GPA of 2.0 or better
- In choosing the Early Childhood Education specialization interest, student must have or find access for field placement in a suitable early childhood setting.
The application cycle for Fall 2021 runs April - July 1 2021. Sign up to receive information.
To participate and receive credit from online classes at San Jose State University, your state of residence, if other than California, must have a reciprocity agreement in place with CSU. This agreement provides online students with consumer protection. For a complete list of participating states and details on the regulation, please visit sjsu.edu/extend/state-auth/.