Frequently Asked Credential Questions

How do I get started in a credentials program?

Answer: Contact the program department under the link 'Prospective Student' on the Credential Services page of this website. 

Am I a RYAN or an SB2042 credential candidate?

Answer: If you were in the SJSU Multiple Subject program and started your coursework Fall 2003 or prior and completed your coursework by 12/31/2005 you are a RYAN credential candidate. If you started your Multiple Subject coursework Spring 2004 or later you are a SB2042 candidate. If you were in the SJSU Single Subject program and started your coursework Spring 2003 or prior and completed your coursework by 12/31/2005 you are a RYAN credential candidate. If you started your Single Subject coursework Fall 2003 or later you are a SB2042 candidate.

My employer says I need CLAD. How can I obtain it?

Answer: If you possess a RYAN credential that does NOT list a CLAD (Cross Cultural & Academic Development) emphasis you may take the CTEL (CA Teachers of English Learners) exam. Go to: for information. If you pass you will need to apply direclty to the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing for a CLAD certificate. Holders of SB2042 credentials do NOT need CLAD. The authorization is embedded in your program coursework, and will show up as ELA on your credential.

Must transcripts be submitted in sealed envelopes?

Answer: Not necessarily. You may submit transcripts that have been opened as long as they are official. We do not accept xerox copies.

Can I have my transcripts mailed to the Credentials Office?

Answer: No. Please have them mailed to your home address and submit them with your credential application packet to avoid lost transcritps or delays.

Do I have to submit official transcripts from ALL colleges where I attended?

Answer: No. We only require official transcripts that show BA/BS degree, credential coursework/requirements, and other courses completed outside of SJSU that are substituted for any credential coursework. SJSU transcripts must show passing grades through your final semester of coursework. 

Note: Speech-Language Pathology and PPS credential candidates must have their MA degree conferred on their SJSU transcripts before applying for their credential.

If I received my bachelor's degree from outside of the U.S. do I need to turn in those transcripts?

Answer: No. Just submit a copy of your official transcript evaluation from one of the CTC-approved evaluation agencies. You must have an equivalent U.S. bachelor's degree with a minimum of 120 semester units completed. Go to (PDF) for a list of CTC-approved agencies.

Is my U.S. bachelor's/master's degree valid for obtaining a CA teaching credential?

Answer: The CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing can only accept coursework and degrees completed at regionally accredited institutions. Degrees and coursework must have been completed while the institution was regionally accredited in order for the Commission to consider them for credentialing purposes. Please go to for current listings.

If my bachelor's degree is from outside of the U.S. but my master's or PhD is from a U.S. institution do I still need to have my transcripts evaluated for my bachelor's degree?

Answer: No. As long as your master's or PhD degree is from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. (See FAQ #9) then you will only need to submit an official transcript showing that degree.

Can I obtain a master's degree and a credential at the same time?

Answer: Yes, however, the university stipulates that you cannot be enrolled in two programs at the same time however some coursework may overlap. Please check with the program departments for information.

Can I take Health and Mainstreaming at another university to meet my SB2042 Preliminary Multiple or Single Subject credential?

Answer: Currently, SJSU has approved courses only from UC Santa Cruz Extension and the University of San Diego Extension for meeting these requirements. They are:

UC Santa Cruz Extension  - XSC265 Becoming a Professional Educator

University of San Diego Extenstion - X569I Health Education & X569H Mainstreaming


Can I submit copies of my test scores and keep my original test results?

Answer: Yes. Copies of CBEST, CSET, RICA, Computer Technology Level I and the U.S. Constitution test results (if applicable) are acceptable.

What if my CPR card has expired?

Answer: The Adult, Child & Infant CPR card must be valid at the time of applying for your credential. If your CPR is expired, you must retake the course. Online CPR courses are not acceptable.

If I submit a copy of my Internship credential what does this meet when I apply for my preliminary credential?

Answer: An Internship credential means you have already submitted evidence of a bachelor's degree, CBEST, subject matter competency (CSET), US Constitution and Certificate of Clearance (fingerprinting). If you submit a copy of your Internship credential then you would not need to submit copies of these items again.

Your Information Sheet contains a statement regarding release of information and privacy. What information do you release and to whom?

Answer: Frequently we get calls from school districts, principals, counties office of education, credential analysts from other universities, and the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing regarding your credential application. We do not give out personal information.

How do I clear my Preliminary SB2042 Multiple or Single Subject credential?

Answer: You must go through a two-year induction program through your employer (school district). Upon completion, your induction sponsor will assist you in applying for your clear credential. SJSU is not authorized to process applications for clear credentials completed through a district induction program.

What if my school district (employer) has no induction program in order for me to clear my SB2042 preliminary credential?

Answer: This may happen as in the case of a private school. Your school district may ask other school districts if they will accept you into their induction program as a courtesy. Or you may enroll in an approved clear program offered through an institution. You may contact us or the CTC for a current listing.

How do I renew my clear credential?

Answer: You may renew most clear credentials online through the CTC website portal at

What is a C-19 letter or Letter of Affidavit and how can I prove to my employer that I have applied for my credential?

Answer: C-19 letters are only issued to individuals who must submit a paper application which takes 3-6 months to process. All online recommenations are processed within 2-4 weeks and employers will be able to verify your application once you make your payment online.

How can I obtain a CA credential if I did my coursework and received a credential from another state?

Answer: You may submit a direct application to CTC  for an evaluation to determine if you qualify for a CA credential based on an out of state program. 

How can I contact the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing?

Answer: It is best to contact the CTC by email at You can expect a 3-10 day turnaround for a response. Their address is:

CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing
PO Box 944270
Sacramento, CA 94244-2700

Phone:Phone:  (916) 322-4974, Option 1 - (M-F 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM)

How can I obtain a duplicate copy of my credential?

Answer: Visit the CTC website at

How do I change my name at the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing and get a new credential showing my new name?

Answer: Visit the CTC website at

How do I change my address with the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing?

Answer: You can change your address by contacting the CTC at Be sure to include your new and former address, last name, and social security number for verification purposes.