News and Events
- View the photos from the 2015 Environmental Studies Department Graduation here: http://1drv.ms/1KZLpxD
- Assistant Professor Dr. Alexander Gershenson co-authored the article entitled The Effects of Cultivation and Alternative Vineyard Management Practices on Soil Carbon
Storage in Diverse Mediterranean Landscapes: A Review of the Literature published in Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems.
- Congratulations to Undergraduate student Monica Banning on winning the Fall 2014 Bay Area Environmental Safety Group Scholarship [PDF] and for winning an award at the CUPA conference for her research project on Environmental
Justice Laws Policies and Hazardous Waste TSDF facilities.
- Congratulations to MS alumna Ariel Rivers on being selected as a member of the Entomological Society of America's (ESA) first class of Science Policy Fellows.
- The front page of Spartan Daily's September 17, 2014 issue [PDF] features Junior student David Mauk's photograph taken during the Ride to School Day event.
- Congratulations to MS student Swarali Bhat on winning the 2014 Association of Environmental Professionals Scholarship.
- San Jose Mercury News article entitled Alviso: 'Charismatic' burrowing owl protected by special habitat features alumni Josh McCluskey and Phil Higgins, as well as Professor and Acting Associate Dean of the College of Social Sciences
Dr. Lynne Trulio.
- Lecturer Dr. Jeanine Pfeiffer co-authored the article entitled Interactive Learning about Biocultural Diversity: University Students Engage Tribes
[PDF] published in the international journal Langscape, Volume 3, Issue 1.
- Congratulations to Environmental Studies' Center for Development of Recycling for winning the Outstanding Waste Prevention Award, and MS alumna Michelle Young with the City of San Jose, for winning the Dave Hardy Leadership in Organics Award at the CRRA’s 38th Annual Conference and Tradeshow in San Jose on August 5, 2014. Many Environmental Studies/CDR graduates were in attendance, displaying great achievements as session speakers and organizers at the four-day event.
Welcome to the Department of Environmental Studies
Welcome to the Department of Environmental Studies at San José State University! We were established in 1970 as one of the first environmental programs in the U.S. Our mission is to provide a rigorous education that produces environmental thinkers to help solve the sustainability issues of our day. We pride ourselves on offering excellent advising to our majors, and we provide a learning environment that emphasizes community, creative problem-solving, and diversity. Find out more about our department on this website.
Today, the societal need for environmental experts is great, as shown by the rapid growth in sustainability jobs. We are committed to helping our students make the transition from university student to environmental professional by connecting them with internships and jobs. Many department activities help graduates find jobs in the green economy.
We look forward to seeing you in our general education classes and we hope to welcome you as a major to our vibrant and growing department.
Working together to sustain our planet,
Dr. Lynne Trulio
Environmental Studies Professor and
Acting Associate Dean of the College of Social Sciences