We are Spartans
At San Jose State University, you can discover who you want to be — for yourself,
for your family and for your community. Different and unexpected begin here — at the
heart of a transforming Silicon Valley. We are Spartans. What powers us changes our
Discover who you want to be
A welcoming, inclusive environment encourages students to discover who they want to
Through real-world, hands-on learning and teaching, students and faculty members integrate theory and practice in pursuit of their goals. Read personal stories of Spartans.
Located in the global capital of innovation and creativity, SJSU’s multifaceted relationship
to Silicon Valley provides a springboard to meaningful careers. View Spartans at work (video).
A commitment to academic excellence and dynamic learning opportunities promotes responsible
social and civic engagement. SJSU launches Institute for the Study of Sport, Society and Social Change (video).
Faculty members combine academic excellence with industry and practical experience,
preparing students to solve 21st-century problems. Spartans cycle in a climate ride (video).
SJSU Points of Pride
- As a Spartan, you get the best Silicon Valley has to offer, while having fun nearby in the Pacific Ocean, Yosemite National Park and San Francisco.
- Silicon Valley companies hire more San Jose State students and alumni than any other college or university in the country.
- SJSU was ranked sixth overall among the West’s top public universities offering bachelor’s
and master’s degrees by U.S. News and World Report.
- The founding campus of the 23-campus California State University system, SJSU grants bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in 250 areas of study through its eight colleges.
- Get involved in one of the 450 student-led organizations, an NCAA Division I athletics program and a professional network of more than 200,000 alumni worldwide.
- Spartan pride shines from SJSU's long tradition of creating leaders including distinguished faculty, alumni and olympians.
Did you know...
Student to Faculty Ratio
Average Class Size
Additional facts and figures (fall 2016)
Connect with Spartans on social media
"I chose SJSU because of the location and also the amazing campus itself. I was also very interested in attending a university with a football team and also Greek life. Attending SJSU has been one of the best decisions I’ve made, and I couldn’t be happier with the endless opportunities and memories it has given me!"
— Cemone from Hanford, CA, '15 Psychology