Defensive Driving Program
Before an employee drives a University vehicle including electric carts, or a privately owned vehicle on University business more than once per month, employees are required to take a defensive driving course once every four (4) years and adhere to the following:
University Vehicle Use
- Faculty and Staff: Complete the online Skillsport Defensive Driver Training online course. Requires a SJSUOne Account for Login.
- Student Assistants; Graduate Assistants; Auxiliary Staff; and Volunteers: Complete the DGS Defensive Driver Training online course.
- Complete an Application for University Vehicle Operation Authorization (PDF).
- Obtain supervisor's permission to operate any vehicle on University business
- Maintain a valid California State Drivers License (foreign licenses are not permitted). The Drivers License needs to be appropriate for the job and vehicle(s) to be operated, (i.e.; class A, B, C).
- Have and maintain a Good and Safe driving record. Risk & Compliance will review drivers Motor Vehicle Record from DMV. If a Class A, B, or Special Class C driver, you are responsible for providing (at your cost) an original DMV record to the employing department at time of interview.
Private/Personal Vehicle Use
- Employees planning to drive on University business need to complete the Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business (STD 261) (PDF).
- Complete the Skillsport Defensive Driver Training online course. Requires a SJSUOne Account for Login. (Note: only if driving on an average of more than once a month)
- Volunteers who drive vehicles on official university business, such as field trips or athletic events, need to complete the Volunteer Request and Appointment Package (PDF).
Defensive Driving Resources
- SJSU Main Campus Map (PDF)
- CSU Use of University & Private Vehicles Guidelines (PDF)
- Motor Vehicle Accidents State Driver Reporting Procedures (PDF)
- SJSU Travel Guide (PDF)
- Skillport Defensive Driving Fundamentals Course Instructions (PDF)
Defensive Driving Forms
- Application for University Vehicle Operation Authorization (PDF)
- Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business (STD 261) (PDF)
- Volunteer Appointment Form (PDF)
- Vehicle Accident Report Form (STD 270) (PDF)
- Vehicle Accident Identification Card (STD 269) (PDF)
- State Driver Accident Review Form (STD 274) (PDF)