International Student Employees

SJSU students

International Students have F-1 and J-1-Student visas and may work on campus only 20 hours a week during the semester, but may work full-time during vacation or break periods.

To be employed, you need to have a Social Security card. To apply for a Social Security card, obtain the following:

  • Job offer from the campus
  • Letter from International Programs & Services (Clark 543) confirming that you are eligible to work
  • Go to Social Security Administrative Office at: Room 244 2nd Floor 280 S first Street, San José, CA 95113

Then each semester, you need to provide Human Resources with the following:

  • Current I-20/DS2019 form
  • Passport
  • Letter from the International Programs & Student Services Office
  • Social Security card

For more information, visit International Programs & Services (Clark 543) or contact the Immigration and Non-Resident Tax Specialist in Procurement & Support Services.