The Teaching Associate (TA) classification provides currently enrolled or admitted CSU graduate students in classified status with part-time employment offering practical teaching experience in fields related to their advanced study. TAs are graduate students with full responsibility for teaching lab sections, preparing presentations, grading papers and assigning grades. Duties may include holding tutoring or office hours. Consult either the Department Chair or the Admin Analyst to determine which courses may need TAs each semester.
- Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline to which the individual is assigned.
- Students must have passed the class (or its equivalent) with a grade of B or better to be considered for a TA position.
- Ability to relate well to others within the academic environment and ability to instruct and evaluate others.
- Evidence of satisfactory achievement in previous academic work.
- Equivalent to or completion of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree and concurrent admission to or enrollment in a graduate degree program of the university that is related to the discipline to which the individual is assigned.
- Graduate students must be in good academic standing and have adequate academic experience.
Contact the Department Chair to express your interest in the position. Indicate the specific class(es) you are interested in, whether you would like to be considered for a grader or TA position, and explain why you think you’d be uniquely qualified for that position.
Applications must be received by four weeks before the start of the semester for full consideration. Applications will be screened on an as-received basis. Applicants not hired will be notified by 1st week of semester.
Applicants will be screened according to their academic performance and the extent to which they meet the qualifications described above.