Become a Transformative Counselor!
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education Counselor Education Department, we are a professional community of faculty, students, and staff engaged in supportive partnerships to serve culturally diverse students at all levels of education and their communities. We prepare guidance and counseling professionals who will enhance quality and excellence for all students within an increasingly diverse, technologically complex, and global community.
By pursuing scholarly, reflective, and applied inquiry, we aim to promote, enhance, and increase access to a meaningful lifelong education. Our faculty, staff, and graduates are compassionate professionals who interact and practice ethically being mindful of our roles and responsibilities in a democratic society.
Counselor Education Announcements
- Fall 2021 Application Cycle: CLOSED - No longer accepting applications
- Spring 2022 Application Cycle: August 1, 2021 - October 1, 2021
- Fall 2022 Application Cycle: October 1, 2021 - February 1, 2022
- To learn more about our academic opportunities, attend our upcoming online info session on Thursday, July 29, from 5-6:30pm
Lurie College & SJSU Announcements
- 2022 U.S. News & World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about Counselor Education students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- SJSU Counseling and Psychological Services - If you are an SJSU student who is in need of SJSU counseling services and not the Department of Counselor Education, please visit their website instead.
- SJSU Academic Advising and Retention Services - If you are an SJSU student who is in need of general academic advising and not the Department of Counselor Education, please visit their website instead.
Meet Our Students & Faculty
Graduate student Janeth Canseco represented her peers as one of the student speakers at the Spring 2021 SJSU Lurie College of Education Graduation Celebration. Watch Janeth's remarks beginning at 20:58 of the video above.
Dr. Lorri Capizzi, along with Teacher Education faculty Brent Duckor, co-presented the webinar “How can Teachers, School Counselors, & Administrators support educational outcomes for students in foster care during extraordinary times?” as part of their SJSU Center for Collaborative Research Excellence in Education (CCREE) and in collaboration with the CSU Center for Closing the Opportunity Gap (CCOG).