The Counselor Education Department prepares individuals to work as counselors in culturally and economically diverse K-12 schools, postsecondary education settings, and community-based organizations. The department offers a Master's degree in Counseling and Guidance, a Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) K-12 School Counseling Credential, and a Child Welfare and Attendance (CWA) authorization. Faculty work closely with degree candidates to build effective counseling and assessment skills, nurture reflective thinking and intercultural awareness, and provide the experiences needed to become dynamic culturally-sustaining counselors and leaders committed to advocacy, social justice, and lifelong learning. Graduates are prepared to facilitate individuals' personal and educational success by utilizing counseling approaches that are strength-based and that focus on personal growth, wellness, and development.
Please note: If you are interested in obtaining both the Master's degree and PPS Credential, apply under the Master's degree option. Also, a Master's degree in Counseling or a related field is required to apply for a clear PPS School Counseling Credential.
Fall 2020 Admissions Application Cycle: CLOSED
- The department is no longer accepting applications for Fall 2020.
Spring 2021 Admissions Application Cycle:
- August 1, 2020 to October 1, 2020
- Information Meeting: Wednesday, August 12th, 5:00-6:30pm via Zoom; register in advance by clicking on this link: Information Meeting Sign-Up. The Zoom link will be emailed 1-2 days before the meeting date.
University applications and department supplemental materials (Autobiographical and Professional Goals Statement, resume, and recommendations) must be submitted online via the Cal State Apply portal. Applicants must ensure ALL application materials are complete and submitted on or before the application deadline of October 1st. LATE APPLICATIONS AND MATERIALS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE.
- Transcripts are to be sent to the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) Office or emailed by the college/univeristy to email@example.com not to the Counselor Education Department.
- Once your MySJSU online system status indicates "Referred to Department," please contact the Counselor Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-924-3634 to verify that all your application materials are complete.
Please Note: The combined Master’s degree plus Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) School Counseling Credential option requires a minimum of 60 semester units. The PPS School Counseling Credential option is no longer offered as a stand alone option unless an applicant has a Master's degree in Counseling or a related field from an accredited university.
Master's Degree Candidacy and Graduation Deadlines:
Please check the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations website for M.A. Candidacy and graduation deadlines.
The application for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy for the Master's degree can be downloaded from this link: Petition for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy form
Instructions on how to apply for graduation can be found here: Applying for graduation video
Visit SJSU’s academic year calendars to view the academic schedule.