Become a Transformative Counselor!
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education Department of Counselor Education, we are a professional community of faculty, students, and staff engaged in supportive partnerships to serve culturally diverse students at all levels of education and their communities. We prepare guidance and counseling professionals who will enhance quality and excellence for all students within an increasingly diverse, technologically complex, and global community.
By pursuing scholarly, reflective, and applied inquiry, we aim to promote, enhance, and increase access to a meaningful lifelong education. Our faculty, staff, and graduates are compassionate professionals who interact and practice ethically being mindful of our roles and responsibilities in a democratic society.
Counselor Education Announcements
- Our next department information session will take place on Tuesday, December 8, from 5-6pm via Zoom.
- Fall 2021 Application Cycle: October 1, 2020 - February 1, 2021
- Spring 2022 Application Cycle: August 1, 2021 - October 1, 2021
Lurie College & SJSU Announcements
- Lurie College 2019-2020 Annual Report - While this has been a challenging and tumultuous year, our annual report shines
a light on the many reasons for gratitude, pride, and hope in the work of our Lurie
College students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about Counselor Education students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- SJSU Counseling and Psychological Services - If you are an SJSU student who is in need of SJSU counseling services and not the Department of Counselor Education, please visit their website instead.
- SJSU Academic Advising and Retention Services - If you are an SJSU student who is in need of general academic advising and not the Department of Counselor Education, please visit their website instead.
Meet Our Students & Faculty
During the Spring 2020 transition to remote teaching and learning, we asked a handful of our Lurie College of Education students to share their insights on learning as they relate to our priority areas – community-engaged, culturally sustaining, interdisciplinary, and holistic – as part of our Learning Showcase. Learn more about Janeth Canseco, an SJSU alumni and current graduate student in our Department of Counselor Education. In this video, Janeth reflects upon her experiential learning opportunities and the importance of community.
Congratulations to Counselor Education faculty Dr. Jason Laker, who has been named the new editor of the Journal of Men’s Studies. Read the interview with Jason at mensstudies.org/Newsletters.