Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Summer Session?
    Summer Session is a self-support inter-session offered between the Spring and Fall semesters, including degree credit courses and some short courses. Enrollment is not limited to full-time and part-time SJSU students. Any adult member of the community is eligible to enroll.
  • Who may attend?
    Classes are open to college and university students, high school graduates and other adults from the community. You do not have to be accepted to San José State University to attend this session.
  • Are there any discounts or fee waivers for Summer Session?

    All new undergraduate first-year and transfer students who enroll (part-time or full-time) and complete the Fall 2020 semester at SJSU are eligible for one free intersession class offer. Registration for eligible students in a free intersession course is handled by the Undergraduate Advising & Success Center (UASC). If you have any questions regarding your free intersession course or registration, please see our FAQs for Fall 2020 admits or contact the Undergraduate Advising & Success Center (UASC) office at 

  • What kind of resources does SJSU offer in terms of class support?
    • Campus Resources Learn about what resources are available to you as a student.
    • How to -  Canvas, Zoom, MySJSU Basics Are you new to Canvas or Zoom? Not sure how MySJSU works? Check out these helpful “how to” guides from eCampus.
    • Learn Anywhere Your one-stop shop for all online learning resources, technology how-to guides, and campus resources. 
    • Workshops SJSU offers a variety of workshops and advisory sessions for students available from eCampus, Peer Connections, Advising Centers, Housing and CAPS.
    • Writing Center SJSU's devoted team of experts is available to help students with every aspect of the writing process. Workshops and tutoring services available. 
  • Is tutoring available for Summer Session?
    Tutoring is available through Peer Connections. Visit the Peer Connection website for more details.
  • Is there financial aid for Summer Session?

    There are available summer aid programs that students may be eligible for. For more information about summer aid programs and how to apply your aid for summer courses, visit the Financial Aid Summer Session website or email the Financial Aid office at

    Short-Term Loans: Limited loan options are available to summer students, based on remaining eligibility. Short-term loans are available through the Bursar's Office. Contact the Bursar's Office for more information.

    Federal Grants: Effective July 2017, the federal government implemented the Year-Round Pell Grant program. Pell Grant eligible students may qualify for an additional Pell Grant for Summer. Students must be enrolled at least half-time in order to be considered. Courses can all be taken in one summer session or you can take three units in each session. If you have questions on whether you are eligible to use the Pell Grant in the summer or if it is the right financial decision for you, contact

    State Grants: State Grant Aid (Cal Grant, State University Grant, Middle Class Scholarship and some tuition fee waivers) are not available during the Summer sessions as state fees are not charged during this term

  • Why am I not being refunded for campus fees when I only take online classes?
    See the campus information on the Health Advisories FAQ under the section for students. 
  • Will I need to pay the full mandatory fees for a 10 week course?
    If you are enrolled in session one, you only need to pay the mandatory fees for session one ($388). If you choose to take courses in session 1 and 2, you would need to pay the full summer campus fee of $776. See tuition and fees for more information. 
  • How do I re-enroll before the late add period if I've been dropped from my class for non-payment?
    1. Find your class in the course schedule to obtain your instructor’s email address; it’s linked to the instructor’s name.
    2. Email your instructor to request an add code.
    3. Register via MySJSU or via the registration form on the first day of class to get enrolled.
    4. Pay your fees before payment due date.  
  • How do I re-enroll after the late add period if I've been dropped from my class for non-payment?

    Once classes start or pass the deadline to enroll, if you are dropped for non-payment and want to re-add, you must add all the classes back. 

    1. Fill out the Late Enroll Petition.
    2. Enter email address of each instructor and chairs for approvals.
    3. Once all instructors and PaCE Associate Dean sign, the registrar's office will enroll you to all the classes. 
    4. Pay your fees before payment due date.
  • Where can I find the credit/no credit form?

    SJSU students need to contact their major advisor to initiate this process. Your advisor will submit an Advisor Request for CR/NC on your behalf through MySJSU.

  • I am Non-SJSU/Open University student. How can I learn more about the Open University program?

    To learn more about the Open University program, visit the FAQs webpage on the Open University program website

Back to Top