Welcome to International Gateways
Since 1975, we have helped thousands of students from over 60 countries who come to San Jose State University for academic, professional, or personal reasons. Whether you want to improve your English or take SJSU classes, we’re here to help you reach your goals. All of our faculty have advanced degrees and many years of experience.
Vaccination Information for International Students
San Jose State University thanks you for your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic guidelines from the state and California State University (CSU). We have received many questions regarding CSU intended COVID-19 vaccination requirement for students, faculty and staff. While we await the finalized policy to share with the campus community, SJSU has further guidance for international students currently in the United States as well as students planning to arrive before the fall semester.
For international students currently in the United States
If you aren’t already fully vaccinated, you need to get the Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccine before the fall semester begins August 19. Here are some key dates to keep in mind if you need to get vaccinated before the fall semester:
- July 9, 2021 (July 5, 2021 for ATP students): last day to receive the first dose of a two-dose vaccine (e.g. Moderna or Pfizer) to be fully vaccinated by August 19 (August 16th for ATP students). Schedule your first dose on or before this date.
- August 6, 2021 (August 2, 2021 for ATP students): last day to receive the final dose of the vaccine of any type. This date is two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
For ALL international students who are currently outside of the United States
SJSU will accept all World Health Organization (WHO) Emergency Use listed vaccines and other vaccines that have been approved by your country, regardless of their WHO classification.
This is very important: if you are able to access a COVID-19 vaccine in your country, you need to get the vaccine before the fall semester to make your transition back to campus much easier.
If you are not vaccinated and plan to live off-campus, you will have to quarantine in your local residence. There will also be protocols - including masking requirements - for being on campus.
For international students who are currently outside of the United States and planning
to live in SJSU housing, including International House
If you are able to access a COVID-19 vaccine in your country, you need to get the vaccine before the fall semester.
If a COVID-19 vaccine is not accessible for you to fully vaccinate before arriving in the United States, SJSU will do the following:
- Support you through the US-mandated seven day quarantine period. This will include notifying instructors if you cannot attend class in person and finding you a safe and comfortable place to live if you plan to live in an on-campus housing facility.
- Help you gain access to a vaccine so that you can be part of the campus community as quickly and as safely as possible.
- Help you transition from your short quarantine period - on or off campus depending on your preferred living situation - to full campus activity, including attending classes and participating in other aspects of campus life.
This is just the beginning. We are still working on plans for the return of our international students. We will send more information as soon as we can, including more detailed information regarding vaccination. We look forward to having many of you back on campus soon.
Vincent Del Casino, Jr.
Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs
Starting Fall 2021, ATP isgoing back to full-time in-person classes on the SJSU campus. This means that F-1 students who would like to maintain their current Active SEVIS status will need to take their classes on the SJSU campus throughout their enrollment. IG will also be able to issue the Initial I-20 form for new F-1 students to join ATP in person in Fall 2021. Non-F-1 students may enroll on a full and part-time basis from both the U.S. and their home countries.
Our Featured Programs
“Studying abroad is a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world to
learn their culture and language.”
- Yumi Zhou, former ATP student