Credit & Transcripts

On all credit-bearing study abroad and away programs, you are responsible for upholding academic integrity as set forth by SJSU. As a study abroad and away participant, you are agreeing to maintain a high academic standard which includes attending classes and completing all required coursework, exams, and activities. Information on academic expectations for undergraduate students at SJSU can be found at this link. All courses taken for a grade abroad will be factored into your GPA. Please find program-specific information regarding credits and transcripts below.
  • Faculty-Led Programs (FLP)
    As a participant in a Faculty-Led Program (FLP), you will be enrolled in a particular SJSU course (or multiple courses) and will receive academic credit. This means that units taken on FLPs will count towards your overall graduation unit requirements at SJSU. All coursework taken abroad/away on SJSU programs will be posted on your official SJSU records/transcripts. While the program travel will be taking place during a particular time period, you will likely have course meetings and assignments to complete before, during and after the travel period.
  • Summer School Abroad (SSA)
    On Summer School Abroad programs, most courses have been pre-approved for lower or upper division General Education (GE) requirements. Any courses can be taken for general university elective credit. If students are interested in taking a course for major and/or minor credits, they will need to submit an Academic Approval Form (AAF) to request these approvals. All coursework taken abroad will be posted on students’ official SJSU records/transcripts once we receive students’ transcripts from abroad.
  • Semester & Year-Long Programs

    For SJSU Exchange, ISEP, CSU IP, NSE Programs

    You are guaranteed to receive “resident credit” for all coursework taken at partner universities. This means that units taken on these programs will count towards overall graduation unit requirements as long as you complete the required procedures below.

    BEFORE GOING ABROAD: You will need to complete the Academic Approval Form (AAF) and submit the signed AAF to your Spartans Abroad Portal. Course equivalencies for major, minor requirements, General Education (GE) and general university electives must be approved by the appropriate advisor before your study abroad program begins. If during your time abroad, you take a course that was not listed on your academic approval form, please complete a new AAF and obtain the appropriate advisor’s signature (your major advisor for major courses, minor advisor for minor courses, the Office of Undergraduate Education for General Education requirements, or the Study Abroad and Away office for general university electives). Do not wait until you have returned to SJSU!

    WHILE ABROAD: Undergraduate students on SJSU Exchanges, ISEP, and NSE programs must be enrolled in at least 12 SJSU units at the host university to be considered a full-time student and receive financial aid, while undergraduate students on CSU IP programs must be enrolled in at least 15 SJSU units. Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 9 SJSU units at the host university to be considered a full-time student and receive financial aid.

    BEFORE RETURNING TO CAMPUS: After you finish your study abroad & away program, it is your responsibility to make sure your host university sends your official transcript to SJSU for processing. Inform your host institution’s team or the responsible office on campus to email your official transcript to and SJSU's Registrar’s Office will not accept transcripts sent by students. If your host university can only send printed copies, then please have them sent to the below address.

    Vid Raatior or Julie Lucas 
    Study Abroad and Away Office
    San José State University 
    One Washington Square
    San José, CA 95112-0221

    Please make sure you submit the Study Abroad Transcript Processing Request Form and that you have signatures on your Academic Approval Form for every course you took abroad. All coursework taken abroad on SJSU programs will be posted on your official SJSU records/transcripts once we receive your host university transcripts, Study Abroad Transcript Processing Form, and complete Academic Approval Forms.

    Courses will appear on your SJSU transcript with the course title from the host university, but with SJSU course numbers, units, and grades. “International Programs” and the name of the host country/university will also be noted on the transcript. Once you see your grades post to MySJSU, reach out to your major and/or minor department to ensure there are no further steps you need to take, as some departments also require that advisors submit course substitutions for students.

Back to Top