Vendor Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can I be paid for freight charges?

Yes, SJSU allows for freight charges to be paid on invoices.

However, all freight charges greater than $100 must include a copy of the actual freight bill, showing the actual cost. If the products were shipped via UPS or FedEx, those charges are paid without question, regardless of amount.

Who handles my account?

Vendors are split amongst the Accounts Payable Technicians alphabetically by vendor name.

Check our Accounts Payable Directory for the name and contact information of your technician.

Why do I need to complete the Vendor Data Record form?

The Vendor Data Record Std. 204 (PDF) is a mandatory State of California form. We require this form from all vendors prior to issuing payments. The information on this form determines your:

  • FEIN or SSN number (for 1099 reporting)
  • Legal corporate or individual name
  • Mailing address
  • State of California withholding requirements
  • Tax residency
  • Vendor type

For additional information on residency status or withholding requirements, contact Accounts Payable.

Why did I receive this 1099 and what do I have to do with it?

1099's are mailed to recipients no later than January 31 of each year. The form is sent to vendors that file tax status as:

  • Independent/Sole Proprietor
  • Medical Payments
  • Payments to Law firms
  • Royalties
  • Rental payments

SJSU reports all 1099 payments to the Internal Revenue Service. Each recipient must then include this income when filing taxes.

If you have questions about the correctness of what was reported, contact Accounts Payable.