The deadline for enrollment in benefits is 60 calendar days from the date of hire or eligibility. If the deadline is missed, you may enroll in health insurance after a 90-day waiting period under the Health Care Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA).
The earliest benefit enrollment effective date for Fall appointments is October 1. The earliest benefit enrollment effective date for Spring appointments is March 1. Coverage begins the first of the following month after your first pay period (Fall - September and Spring - February pay period) and/or the date you sign your enrollment forms. Benefits are payable one month in advance.Faculty, Staff, MPP, and Confidential Employees
Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO)
Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs): Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Kaiser, and United HealthCare are individual practice plans where contracted doctors and hospitals provide all services. Kaiser is a clinic/hospital-based plan where one specific clinic or hospital provides the services.
- Information on Blue Shield Access HMO
- Information on Anthem Blue Cross
- Information on Health Net SmartCare
- Information on Kaiser Permanente
- Information on United HealthCare
Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO)
Three Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO): PERS Choice, PERSCare and PERS Select (administered by Blue Cross of California). PERSCare, PERS Choice and PERS Select are PPO plans that cater to individuals who value freedom of choice. Unlike a health maintenance organization where a primary care physician directs all medical care, PERSCare and PERS Choice allow you to manage your own care. You can see a specialist without a referral and can change physicians whenever you wish.
- Information on PERSchoice, PERScare, and PERSselect
- Employees can go to CalPERS and use the Health Benefits Main Page to connect to the CalPERS Health Plan Chooser. The Chooser is an online service that can assist you in making your health plan decision. It does not choose a health plan for you, but it does lead you through the decision process and create results that allow you to compare and contrast health plans.