Creating Accessible Documents
This page provides you with various information, resources or tutorials to ensure your non-print or multimedia course materials are accessible. Contact Accessible Education Center (AEC) to discuss with them how to work with students with special needs or learning styles.
Online Course Materials or References
- Use Website Builder to create your accessible course web pages at SJSU. Make sure the documents you plan to upload are accessible. See Accessibility Guidelines for Creating Text Documents for details.
- Use the HiSoftware® Cynthia Says™ Portal, a web content accessibility validation tool, to verify if your web references or URLs are accessible. Enter the URL into the Web page box and click the Test your site button to examine the results of your accessibility report and take appropriate actions.
Video Course Materials or Assignments
- Be aware of the Copyright and Fair Use for your video materials
- Provide closed captioning, transcript, or an accessibility plan for any video presentation (DVDs, video tapes, video podcasts, YouTube or other video formats) of your course materials
- View SJSU Captioning Guidelines and Processes [pdf] for information specific to video captioning
- Limited funding is available to add captioning for your videos.
- Creating accessible video via YouTube Captioning Tutorial [pdf]: A self-help tutorial which guides you to use your SJSUOne YouTube account to add or edit captions or transcriptions for your videos.
- Creating accessible video from a PowerPoint slide presentation [pdf]: A self-help tutorial which provides you step-by-step instruction on how to turn a PowerPoint slide with narration into an accessible video file.
- Creating an accessible screencast [pdf]: A self-help tutorial which gives you step-by-step instruction on how to capture computer screen and turn it into an accessible video tutorial for your students.
- Captioning Resources at CSU
- Captioning Guide at CSU [pdf]
- Multimedia Accessibility at CSU
Audio Materials or assignments
- Provide transcript or an accessibility plan for the audio presentation or assignment of your course materials.
Use of Learning Management System (LMS)
- Ensure all the course materials you upload to Canvas, the SJSU LMS, are accessible.
- Visit SJSU eCampus Canvas website to learn how to use Canvas.
- If students are required to participate in peer editing activities, make sure the files they share with one another are accessible.
- Ensure you have an accessibility plan or self-help resources for students with special needs or learning styles.
- If a student requires extended time to take a quiz or needs a quiz in another format, contact Accessible Education Center to work on your Testing Accommodations plan.