Managers and Supervisors
The collaboration of an employee's manager/supervisor in the interactive process is critical to EARC. Under the FEHA and ADA, a manager/supervisor of an employee with a qualified disability has the following legal responsibilities:
- Engaging in the interactive process in a timely manner, which includes:
- referring an employee to the EARC when an employee approaches you regarding a disability/medical condition and/or requests an employment accommodation (see "More" section below for important details on referral guidelines);
- refraining from requesting and accepting medical documentation from an employee who has a disability/medical condition and/or requests an employment accommodation;
- consulting with EARC regarding any undue hardship, business necessities, and the effectiveness of proposed accommodations in enabling the employee to perform the essential job functions; and
- overseeing the implementation and maintenance of the prescribed accommodations, if accommodations are prescribed; and
- Maintaining information relating to the employee's accommodations and/or status as an employee with a disability strictly confidential.
- EARC Fillable Referral Letter [pdf]
- When and how do I refer an employee to EARC?
- Show me more information on employee confidentiality.
- Disability Etiquette Guide [pdf]
- EEOC Addresses Performance & Conduct Issues under the ADA
- The ADA: Your Responsibilities as an Employer (Note: Be sure to scroll all the way down to the "Additional Questions and Answers on the ADA" section of this webpage, as the Q&A provided are very informative.)