Writing Tutor Hours
The writing tutor is now available by Zoom and has expanded hours. Visit the Writing Center website to schedule an appointment.
Upcoming APA workshops:
Please visit the Writing Center website for additional workshop topics.
Peer Connections Academic Tutoring
Peer Connections has course specific and general academic tutoring available. Visit the Peer Connections website to schedule an appointment.
The SJSU MLK library has dedicated librarians for each department. They can assist you with research related to your respective majors!
Child & Adolescent Development
Communicative Disorders & Sciences
Teacher Education & Special Education
Test Preparation Resources
SJSU Lurie College of Education undergraduate, graduate, credential, and doctoral students are welcome to utilize these online resources to prepare for upcoming exams. Websites for test preparation programs and practice tests are for your exploration only. Lurie College has not evaluated these services and does not have any information about the success rate for these programs.
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET)
- Praxis Test
- Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
California Education Code specifies that teacher candidates must demonstrate proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills. Passage of The California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®) fulfills this requirement. Register for the CBEST through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website.
CBEST Test Prep Resources
- California Educator Credentialing Assessments Website - California Education Code specifies that teacher candidates must demonstrate proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills. Passage of The California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®) fulfills this requirement. Register for the CBEST through this website. You can also prepare for the test here with free printable practice tests: Reading (36 pages), Math (38 pages), and Writing (15 pages)
- Essay Exam Practice: WST & CBEST - This 0 unit / free course offered by San Jose City College (ENGL 587) offers students
an opportunity to strengthen their grammar and language awareness, focusing specifically
on the Writing Skills Test (WST) and other related tests of the CSU system as well
as the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
- Teacher's Test Prep Courses - Choose from a variety of fee-based CBEST in-person prep or online classes
- Union Test Prep Website - Free online test prep for all three subject areas, including practice tests, flashcards, and study guides. Link for paid tutoring support is provided as well.
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) has developed The California Subject Examinations for Teachers™ (CSET®) for prospective teachers to meet specific content knowledge reflecting the subject area taught. Requirements depend on the credential that you are seeking - register for the CSET on the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website.
CSET Test Prep Resources
- California Educator Credentialing Assessment Website - The California Subject Examinations for Teachers® (CSET®) have been developed by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) for prospective teachers who choose to, or are required to, meet specific requirements for certification by taking examinations. Each test in the program is designed to measure a specific set of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities reflecting the subject area taught. Free study tips, materials, and general information are provided on this website. Register for the CSET through this website.
- SJSU CSET Website - CSET Math Multiple Subject II - A website developed by SJSU faculty that provides content review for the CSET Math Multiple Subject II.
- SJSU CSET Website - CSET Math Subtests I, II, and III - A website developed by SJSU faculty that provides content review for the CSET Math Subtests I, II, and III.
- SJSU CSET Website - CSET Multiple Subject Subtest II - A website developed by SJSU faculty that provides content review for the CSET Math Subtests I, II, and III.
- Study.com - CBEST, CSET, and RICA exams are broken down into 50-100, video lessons that average
5 minutes in length. Each lesson includes an animated video, with audio narration
and a written transcript. This is paid subscription with a $59.99 monthly fee.
- Teachers Test Prep - This site requires an account to utilize their free tests for CSET multiple subjects.
For written portions of the test, to see your results, you must pay $39.
- 240tutoring.com CSET, RICA, CBEST Comprehensive study guides featuring videos, practice questions, lull length practice tests and more. SJSU has a discounted rate of 50% off, or $20 a month, and you can quit at any time. You must use this link to access the discount: https://study.240tutoring.com/subscribe/SanJoseStateUniv
- ETS Praxis ASHA Website - Understand the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) certification requirements. The Praxis® exam in audiology is an integral component of ASHA certification standards. The Praxis exam in Speech-Language Pathology is used as a requirement for the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence. This source will help guide in preparing for the exams and explains important registration information.
- ETS Praxis Website - Free online Praxis testing material and preparation. Familiarize yourself with test questions and what to expect the day of the test. View a computer-delivered testing demonstration.
- California Educator Credentialing Assessments Website - For credential candidates, a Video Performance Assessment is option is offered for
the RICA. This site explains the Video Performance assessment option and provides
an instructional manual for preparation.
- California Educator Credentialing Assessments Website - The purpose of the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment® (RICA®) is to ensure
that California-trained candidates for Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials and Education
Specialist Instruction Credentials (special education) possess the knowledge and skills
important for the provision of effective reading instruction to students. This site
provides content specifics for the test, a written practice test, and a tutorial on
taking the computer-based test. Register for the RICA through this website.
- Teachers Test Prep Website - This site requires an account to utilize their free tests for RICA. For written portions of the test, to see your results, you must pay $39.