Pupil Personnel Services Credential




total courses

for program*


*Fees are subject to review & change

Apply Now

Additional Info

For more information about the program, please visit:

CatalogSJSU Degree Catalog

MLIS Department Program website

Program Website

The Pupil Personnel Services Credential prepares professionals, who have an MSW degree from an accredited program to qualify for certification with the state of California as school social workers. This is a 10 credit program- six credits of coursework that are taught online and four units of externship that is done in a school setting. Depending on prior social work experience in a school, either as a MSW student or post MSW, the externship may be potentially waived.

  Sign up for email notifications Program Website  

Program Features

  1. Designed for working social work professionals.
  2. Available to students throughout California since courses are taught online.
  3. Experienced faculty in teaching.
  4. Externships are developed by students; thus, enabling them to fulfill this requirement in their communities.
Learn more about what the PPSC program has to offer

Learn about the benefits and application requirements of the  Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) at SJSU

Applying to the Program

Admission Requirement:

  • MSW degree from an accredited school of social work.
  • Official transcripts from all graduate programs.
  • Current resume.
  • Personal statement.
  • Three letters of reference.

Request for waiver of externship require applicants to demonstrate that they have had school experience within the last seven years either as an internship or post MSW and complete required documentation.

For more information, please visit  the School of Social Work website.


Your Career Opportunities

This credential prepares the student to be certified as a school social worker in California. This certification offers more opportunities in the field of school social work.

For you to participate and receive credit from online classes at San Jose State University, your state of residence must have a reciprocity agreement in place with CSU. This agreement provides online students with consumer protection. For a complete list of participating states and details on the regulation, please visit sjsu.edu/extend/state-auth/.