Become a Transformative Speech Therapist or Audiologist!
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education Department of Communicative Disorders and Sciences (CDS), we provide rigorous academic and clinical preparation to students seeking careers working with individuals with communication disorders, and their families. We are guided by a commitment to culturally responsive teaching and clinical training as well as to scholarly research and evidence-based practice. Our graduates will adhere to the highest ethical standards in serving the needs of our culturally and linguistically diverse community.
Asst. Prof. Dr. Europa presents at the Academy of Aphasia 2022
Welcome Dr. McCollum, new Assistant Professor
Dr. Nidhi Mahendra Named ASHA Fellow
Dr. Nidhi Mahendra, Professor and Chair of the department of Communicative Disorders and Sciences, was just named a Fellow of the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA). Fellowship of ASHA is among the "highest forms of recognition awarded by ASHA to recognize individual accomplishments and publicly declaring outstanding professional achievement". Please join us in congratulating her on this significant career milestone. She joins the proud Lurie College of Education and CDS legacy of ASHA Fellows, following in the footsteps of CDS Professors Emeriti, Dr. Gloria Weddington, Dr. Henriette Langdon, and Dr. Michael Kimbarow.
"Dr. Mahendra is a gifted researcher who bridges theory, practice, and policy to generate new knowledge and advance the profession. She is passionately dedicated to issues of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and has been a leader in addressing structural inequities and systemic injustices in her department, the university, and in the profession. And across all of her work, Dr. Mahendra consistently exhibits deep kindness, empathy, and care for individuals and communities, keeping the humanity of the person at the center of her practice.” - Dean Heather Lattimer
"Dr. Mahendra is not only an outstanding scholar, she is also a campus leader and innovator, who translates her research into everyday practice. What I particularly enjoy about working with Dr. Mahendra is that she imagines the world of higher education without boundary or constraint. This doesn't mean she is impractical. It does mean, however, that she is one of the most creative thinkers I have come across in my time at SJSU." - Provost Del Casino
A statement from Dr. Mahendra: “My heart is full of the joy and weight of this moment as well as a profound humility. I express my bottomless gratitude to my family, fantastic mentors, dear colleagues, and many students and clients/patients whose lives have intersected with mine in a deeply fulfilling journey to this point. I hold sacred the honor and trust placed in me with this recognition, and thank you each for sharing this moment with me.” - Nidhi Mahendra
- Our department recently raised over $5000 to invest in our Kay Armstead Center for Communicative Disorders (KACCD) as we prepare to reopen in 2022. Read more about our fundraiser on our Giving Tuesday webpage.
Lurie College and SJSU Announcements
- 2020-2021 Impact Report - As we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, our SJSU Lurie College of Education is positioned to lead. Read about the impact of our students, faculty, programs, and more from the past year.
- 2022 U.S. News and World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about CDS students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Student and Faculty Spotlights
Undergraduate student Caryn Iwakiri participated as a Fall 2021 Lurie College Storyteller, which highlights our students along their journeys to becoming transformative educators, counselors, therapists, school and community leaders as they share out a series of short videos over the course of the semester. Watch all of Caryn's videos on our Lurie College TikTok.