Higher Ed Teaching Certificate
Become a culturally-sustaining postsecondary instructor!
Our Higher Education Teaching Certificate focuses on developing postsecondary faculty’s culturally-sustaining and responsive pedagogical knowledge grounded in social justice, equity, and inclusion. Students will enroll in a foundations course that examines the development and knowledge of theories related to diversity, equity and inclusion in U.S. higher education; a teaching methods course grounded in culturally-sustaining pedagogies; and a teaching fieldwork experience where students will put into practice culturally-sustaining and responsive teaching methodologies.
If you’re a current MA/MS student (at a non-CSU campus) or faculty member in a postsecondary institution, the Higher Education Teaching Certificate is for you!
- Format: Online during the summer, hybrid during the fall
- Units: 9 units / 3 courses
- Start term: Summer 2022
- Application window: January - April 15
- Application Deadline: April 15th, 2022
- Transcripts Deadline: April 20th, 2022
Upcoming Info Sessions:
Meet with our program faculty and learn more about our Certificate in Higher Education Teaching program by requesting a group and/or private information session by selecting below.
- 2 Summer 2022 Courses | 7 weeks each
- EDLD 212- Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice in Higher Education
- EDLD 250- Emancipatory Pedagogy in Higher Education
- 1 Fall 2022 Course | 15 weeks
- EDLD 251- Higher Education Teaching Practicum
Steps to Apply
International students only: Contact WES to have your international transcripts evaluated. You will also be required to take the TOEFL test and have ETS send your official TOEFL transcript to SJSU.
Step 1 | Notify Our Department
Step 2 | Begin your Cal State Apply application
- Summer 2022 application deadline EXTENDED: April 15, 2022
- Program name: Certificate, Higher Education Teaching
- Visit calstate.edu/apply to create your application profile and pay the $70 application fee.
Step 3 | Prepare Your Response
- In no more than 300 words per answer, please respond to the following two questions:
- Please describe your teaching philosophy and how you respond to and incorporate diverse perspectives in your pedagogy?
- What is the role of institutions of higher education in addressing issues of diversity and social justice?
Step 4 | Submit Your Transcripts
Request one official transcript from each college/university where you studied and submit the official sealed transcript(s) directly from each college/university to the SJSU Graduate Admissions office at:
Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
If the college/university provides official electronic transcripts, the institution can email the transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions pertaining to transcripts, GPA calculations, and application fees should be directed to email@example.com.
Step 5 | Submit Your Application
Once you submit your application via Cal State Apply, check your application status online at one.sjsu.edu. Your ID and PINs are provided shortly by SJSU's Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Office after you submit your application via Cal State Apply.
The total application processing time is between five to six weeks after all necessary documents have been received by the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Office, so we recommend that you submit your application early in the processing cycle.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information and to apply, email the Department of Educational Leadership, at firstname.lastname@example.org.