Graduate applicants to SJSU may be required to submit standardized test scores as part of their application process.
- How to Submit Test Scores
- Programs Requiring a GRE or GMAT
- Required English Language Proficiency (ELP) Exams
- English Language Proficiency Exam Waivers
- Programs Requiring a Higher ELP Test Score
Test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to SJSU.
Test scores must be received by SJSU by the document deadline for the applicant's program.
- TOEFL (iBT): Educational Testing Services (ETS) code is 4687. TOEFL scores must be less than two years old.
- GRE: Educational Testing Services (ETS) code is 4687. GRE scores must be less than five years old.
- Academic IELTS scores must be sent electronically.
San Jose State University Graduate Admissions
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-001
- IELTS Indicator scores should be sent to San Jose State University Graduate Admissions by selecting us through the drop down menu.
- Academic PTE: Login to your PTE portal to send your official PTE score report to SJSU.
- GMAT: Login to your GMAT account to send official GMAT scores to SJSU.
NOTE: If your name or birthdate is different on your standardized test from what you listed on your university application, please notify our offices by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and include an explanation.
Many of our graduate programs require that applicants submit standardized test (GRE or GMAT) results in order to be considered for admission. Check the Degree Program Requirements table as to whether the program you are applying to requires a standardized exam.
- Who come from a country where English is not the primary language
- Who do not possess a baccalaureate degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction.
SJSU interprets “where English is the principal language of instruction” to mean that the higher education institution is located in a country in which English is the official language (the daily medium of communication of the majority of residents) and that the students receive academic instruction in all subjects (except foreign language courses) at all levels of education in English.
|Minimum proficiency score||Internet||Paper|
|TOEFL (iBT, iBT Home & Paper Edition)*||80||N/A|
|IELTS (Academic, Online Academic)||6.5||6.5|
*TOEFL Essentials Scores are not accepted at this time. SJSU Graduate Admissions Office will accept MyBest TOEFL (iBT, iBT Home Edition, iBT
Paper Edition) Scores.
Note: SJSU Graduate Admissions does not accept Duolingo as a test of English proficiency.
Some programs will require a higher ELP score than the university minimum. For a complete list, see below.
Waivers will be considered for applicants who meet one of the following criteria:
- Studied full-time at a U.S. college or university for at least three years (completed 72 semester/108 quarter academic units at a regionally accredited institution within the U.S.)
- Completed three years of full-time study at a high school in the U.S.
- Completed (or in progress of being completed) Bachelor's or Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution within the U.S. or from one of the following countries/territories outside of the U.S.
|Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, The Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago)|
|Canada – excluding Quebec|
|United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales)|
*Countries not listed will not meet the English Language Proficiency requirement.
Note: SJSU does not accept “English-medium of instruction” as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam such as TOEFL, IELTS, or the Pearson’s Test of English. Letters from applicants or institutions will NOT be accepted.