University Learning Outcomes
University Goals Power Lifelong Learning
The student learning experience at SJSU is centered on helping students achieve seven important goals. These goals represent the skills and knowledge that power lifelong learning and career success. San José State University graduates will have developed:
1. Social and Global Responsibilities. An ability to consider the purpose and function of one’s degree program training within various local and/or global social contexts and to act intentionally, conscientiously, and ethically with attention to diversity and inclusion.
2. Specialized Knowledge. Depth of knowledge required for a degree, as appropriate to the discipline.
3. Intellectual Skills
Fluency with specific theories, assumptions, foundational knowledge, analytical and interpretive protocols, tools, and technologies appropriate to the discipline or field of study.
Skills necessary for mastery of a discipline at a level appropriate to the degree and leading to lifelong learning, including critical and creative thinking and practice, effective communication, thorough and ethical information gathering and processing, competence with quantitative and/or qualitative methodologies, and productive engagement in collaborative activities.
For undergraduate students in a baccalaureate program: an understanding of critical components of broad academic areas, including the arts, humanities, social sciences, quantitative reasoning, and sciences.
4. Integrative Knowledge and Skills
Mastery in each step of an investigative, creative, or practical project (e.g., brainstorming, planning, formulating hypotheses or complex questions, designing, creating, completing, and communicating) with integration within and/or across disciplines.
An ability to articulate the potential impacts of results or findings from a particular work or field in a societal context.
5. Applied Knowledge. An ability to apply theory, practice, and problem solving to new materials, settings, and problems.
- Students will know and understand the policies and procedures that guide admission, enrollment and graduation at SJSU. (Applied Knowledge)
- Students will demonstrate competence in applying the policies and procedures that guide admission, enrollment and graduation at SJSU. (Applied Knowledge)
- Students will utilize mySJSU effectively to access information and conduct business with the university. (Intellectual Skills)
- Students will demonstrate effective communication and critical thinking skills in accessing information and services provided by Enrollment Services. (Intellectual Skills)