Undergraduate Admission Appeals
San José State is impacted for all majors at the undergraduate level. This means that we do not have the enrollment capacity to accept all eligible applicants. If you have a serious and compelling reason for reconsideration and you wish to submit an appeal, please read the following information carefully before completing the Admission Appeal Request.
There are two appeal categories available during the application and admission process for undergraduates-
Admission Decision Appeals:
SJSU reviews each applicant's record thoroughly during the admission process. The admission process is completely objective, based on the information submitted for that step in the review process. This includes some or all of the following:
- Self-reported academic qualifications on the CSU Application for Admission
- Official transcripts
- Official test scores
Therefore, for an appeal to an admission decision to have merit, it must bring to light new academic information. Neither grades received after the time of application nor test scores sent after the official test scores deadline are a basis for an appeal or the reversal of a decision.
If you feel that you have been denied admission in error, please follow the detailed instructions for Submitting your Appeal Request.
Application/Admission Deadline Appeals:
Because SJSU is an impacted campus for every major at the undergraduate level, our admission process is deadline-driven and we do hold applicants to our stated deadlines.
Failure to routinely review your MySJSU account or read messages posted by the university are not grounds for an appeal.
If your application was canceled for failure to meet one of our deadlines and you can provide proof that you took the necessary steps to meet the stated deadline, then please follow the detailed instructions for Submitting your Appeal Request.
Instructions for Submitting your Appeal Request:
To be reviewed by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, you must submit a completed Admission Appeal Request including any required documents as outlined on the appeal request form. Incomplete appeal submissions will not be considered and may not be re-submitted. All documents, once submitted, become the property of SJSU and will not be returned.
The following applies to all appeals:
- Applicants may submit a maximum of one appeal per academic term.
- It is our usual practice to respond to appeals within three weeks of the date we receive a completed submission. However, we cannot guarantee a response by deadlines you may have at other colleges where you have applied. We encourage applicants to consider all available educational options.
- Appeal decisions are final and non-negotiable. Because SJSU is an impacted campus, all appeals will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Incomplete appeal submissions will be not be considered.
- Appeals submitted after the 15 day appeal period will not be considered.
- Continue to monitor your admission status in your MySJSU account as well as messages/emails for updates.
Please read the appeal instructions below carefully to successfully submit your appeal:
- Complete the Undergraduate Admission Appeal Request.
- When completing the Undergraduate Admission Appeal Request, you will be asked to provide a written statement that states the reason for the appeal. We ask that you attach all documents related to your appeal (proof of deadlines met for test scores, receipts, confirmation that transcripts were sent, correspondences; etc.)
- You must submit official transcripts to validate the information noted in your written
statement (if you have not already sent official transcripts). Official transcripts
must include all coursework and grades completed to date, and an official listing
of the coursework in which you are currently enrolled.
- Transfer applicants must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended by the deadline, but do not need to submit high school transcripts.
- Freshmen applicants must submit official high school transcripts by the deadline.
- Attach any additional supporting documentation related to your appeal when you complete the Undergraduate Admission Appeal Request. You will not be able to attach documentation later, so all supporting documentation must be included with your appeal. Letters of recommendation or statements written on your behalf are not considered in the admission selection process at SJSU and cannot be submitted as part of your appeal.
Apply to a Later Term
If your appeal is not accepted or you decide to continue your education via the community college system or at another university, we hope that you will reapply to SJSU for the next available term. Please monitor Cal State Apply for current information.