Graduate applicants to SJSU may be required to submit standardized test scores as part of their application process. Required exams may include:
SJSU ETS (TOEFL and GRE) code 4687
Test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to SJSU.
TOEFL scores must be less than two years old and GRE scores must be less than five years old. Test scores must be received by SJSU by the document deadline for the applicant's program.
Academic IELTS scores must be sent electronically.
San Jose State University Graduate Admissions
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-001
IELTS Indicator scores should be sent to San Jose State University Graduate Admissions by selecting us through the drop down menu.
*NOTE: If your name or birthdate is different on your standardized test from what you listed on your university application, please notify our offices by emailing email@example.com and include an explanation.
Many of our graduate programs require that applicants submit standardized test (GRE or GMAT) results in order to be considered for admission. Check the Degree Program Requirements table as to whether the program you are applying to requires a standardized exam.
University Required English Language Proficiency (ELP) Exams
· Who come from a country where English is not the primary language and,
· Who do not possess a baccalaureate degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction.
|Minimum proficiency score||Internet||Paper||CBT|
|Duolingo English Test*||120||N/A||N/A|
*Exam allowed for Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 due to global health pandemic.
Note that some programs will require a higher ELP score than the university minimum. For a complete list, see below.
English Language Proficiency Exam Waivers
Waivers will be considered for applicants who meet one of the following criteria:
- Completed 72 academic semester units (or 108 academic quarter units) at a regionally accredited institution within the U.S.
- Completed 3 years of full-time study at a high school in the U.S.
- Studied full-time at a U.S. college or university for at least three years.
- Completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree from one of the following countries/territories outside of the U.S.
|Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua, Bahamas, Belize, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago)|
|Canada – excluding Quebec|
|Grand Cayman Islands|
|United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales)|
*Countries not listed will not meet the English Language Proficiency requirement.
Note: SJSU does not accept “English-medium of instruction” as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam such as TOEFL, IELTS, or the Pearson’s Test of English. Letters from applicants or institutions will NOT be accepted.