Graduate applicants to SJSU may be required to submit standardized test scores as
part of their application process. Required exams may include:
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Graduate Management Examination (GMAT)
An English Langaguge Proficiency Exam (ELP)
Test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to SJSU.
Test scores must be received by SJSU by the document deadline for the applicant's program.
SJSU ETS (TOEFL and GRE) code 4687. TOEFL scores must be less than two years old and GRE scores must be less than five years old.
Academic IELTS scores must be sent electronically.
San Jose State University Graduate Admissions
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-001
IELTS Indicator scores should be sent to San Jose State University Graduate Admissions by selecting us through the drop down menu.
NOTE: If your name or birthdate is different on your standardized test from what you listed on your university application, please notify our offices by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and include an explanation.
*Starting Spring 2023, SJSU Graduate Admissions will no longer accept Duolingo as an University Required English Language Proficiency (ELP) Exam.
Many of our graduate programs require that applicants submit standardized test (GRE or GMAT) results in order to be considered for admission. Check the Degree Program Requirements table as to whether the program you are applying to requires a standardized exam.
- Who come from a country where English is not the primary language and,
- Who do not possess a baccalaureate degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction.
|Minimum proficiency score||Internet||Paper||CBT|
|Duolingo English Test**||120||N/A||N/A|
*TOEFL Essentials and TOEFL MyBest Scores are not accepted at this time.
**Starting Spring 2023, SJSU Graduate Admissions will no longer accept Duolingo as a test for English to assess academic English suitable for graduate education.
Some programs will require a higher ELP score than the university minimum. For a complete list, see below.
English Language Proficiency Exam Waivers
Waivers will be considered for applicants who meet one of the following criteria:
- Studied full-time at a U.S. college or university for at least three years (completed 72 semester/108 quarter academic units at a regionally accredited institution within the U.S.)
- Completed three years of full-time study at a high school in the U.S.
- Completed (or in progress of being completed) Bachelor's or Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution within the U.S. or from one of the following countries/territories outside of the U.S.
|Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, The Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago)|
|Canada – excluding Quebec|
|United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales)|
*Countries not listed will not meet the English Language Proficiency requirement.
Note: SJSU does not accept “English-medium of instruction” as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam such as TOEFL, IELTS, or the Pearson’s Test of English. Letters from applicants or institutions will NOT be accepted.