Transfer Test Requirements

Department Placement Exams

Many new undergraduates in the College of Science, Engineering and Business may need to take the Precalculus Proficiency Assessment prior to registration. For details, exemptions, and other criteria, visit the Precalculus Proficiency Assessment information.

To learn if you need to take a department placement exam, contact the department that oversees your degree program (major). View a listing of degree programs and their departments in our University Catalog.

English Language Proficiency Requirement (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo)

If you have studied outside the United States, you may be required to submit scores from an English Language Proficiency Exam. 

Other Tests and Exams

Advanced Placement (AP)

You may be coming to SJSU with AP exam results. SJSU grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of examinations with a score of 3 or higher. If you earned a 3 or higher on an AP exam, please ensure that your official scores are attached in Cal State Apply. SJSU will download your official scores from Cal State Apply. Self-reported test scores cannot be used.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP exams help SJSU students earn credit towards the completion of their undergraduate degrees.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

You may be coming to SJSU with IB exam results. SJSU can grant credit toward undergraduate degrees for successful completion of IB examinations. Official higher level IB Exam scores of 4 or higher, taken before college matriculation, will be granted up to six semester units of lower division baccalaureate credit.