Early Childhood and Transitional Kindergarten Teaching


California is expanding opportunities for families with young children to access early education and care. There is a growing need for early educators across California’s early education mixed delivery system. Read on to find out about the programs and courses at SJSU that will prepare you to teach four-year-olds in Transitional Kindergarten classrooms, 3-4 year-olds in CA State Preschool and Head Start programs, and 0-5 year-olds in other early education and care settings.

Interested in becoming a Transitional Kindergarten teacher?

Current California law requires that lead teachers of Transitional Kindergarten (TK) classrooms hold a Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential and meet requirements in Early Childhood/Child Development. For more information about these requirements, visit the CA Department of Education FAQ.

San José State University offers several opportunities for future TK teachers. 

Have you already earned a Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential? Please fill out the information form below for more information about in-person and online ECE/Child Development courses that meet the requirements for TK teaching:

Early Childhood Education Courses at San José State University: Find out more about Course Descriptions

  • CHAD 60 - Child Development
  • CHAD 152 - Foundations for Early Childhood Curriculum
  • CHAD 160 - Child Development Practicum
  • CHAD 161 - Administration of Early Childhood Programs
  • CHAD 164 - Contemporary Parenting
  • Additional Child and Adolescent Development (ChAD) courses are available for non-SJSU students through the Open University[BROKEN LINK]

Have you already earned a Bachelor's Degree?  
Fill out the information form below for more information about the Multiple Subject Credential program offered by the Department of Teacher Education as well as updates about California’s upcoming PreK-to-3rd Grade Credential.

Looking to earn or complete your Bachelor’s Degree on your way to becoming a TK teacher?
SJSU offers curricular pathways ideal for students interested in pursuing a BA on their way to becoming a TK Teacher. Fill out the information form below for more information about earning a BA in Child and Adolescent Development (in-person) and the Lurie College of Education BA Completion Program (online).

Have you already earned a Special Education Teaching Credential from SJSU?
Options are becoming available for adding TK authorization to your credential. Fill out the information form below to get connected with more information. 

Interested in becoming a preschool teacher / early childhood educator?

Teachers in California State Preschool Programs and in some other ECE programs are required to hold a Child Development Permit (CDP). 

You can meet the requirements for the CDP at the Master Teacher/Site Supervisor level by earning a BA degree in Child & Adolescent Development.

Have you already earned a BA in Child and Adolescent Development from SJSU?
Please fill out the information form below to find out about applying for the Child Development Permit. Stipends are available to cover the CDP application fee.

Are you already eligible for TK teaching and interested in professional learning opportunities?

Let us know about your interest in upcoming professional development opportunities on the information form below!

There are many opportunities for financial aid to help cover the cost of tuition and fees.  We will work with applicants to apply for Federal Pell Grants. If you work for a Local Education Agency (LEA) such as a school district, there may be grants to support your educational costs. Students can also apply for SJSU Lurie College of Education scholarships. 

Visit the Lurie College of Education website and SJSU’s Financial Aid Office[BROKEN LINK] for more information. 

Contact us: 
Phone: 408-924-3227
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 9am - 3pm
Email: degreecompletion-education@sjsu.edu