Student Rights & Responsibilities

The MPH program follows the guidelines for student grievances outlined in the Student's Rights and Responsibilities section in the SJSU Catalog.

Student Discrimination & Harassment Complaints

San José State University is committed to creating an atmosphere in which all persons and groups can work and study free of unlawful discrimination. If you have any complaints regarding unlawful discrimination or harassment follow the complaint guidelines outlined in Executive Order 1045 and complete the CSU Student Discrimination/Harassment Complaint Form (PDF) and return to the Office for Equal Opportunity. For more information, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) or contact the Human Resources Office for Equal Opportunity.

Within the MPH program, you may discuss any program-related concerns with any of the MPH Core faculty members, including the Program Coordinator or Co-Coordinator, MPH Director, or Department Chair, at any time. You may schedule individual or group meetings or phone consultations with faculty members, the Coordinator, the Director, or the Chair.

All conversations regarding student concerns are treated as confidential consultations. Discussion with other faculty or the Chair about your identity and the specific circumstances of your complaint is only initiated with your written permission. If you agree in writing that the matter can be discussed in more specific detail with the MPH Core faculty or the specific faculty member against whom your complaint is made, the Director or Chair will initiate a dialogue on the situation with the individual(s) involved. The goal of these conversations is to bring the matter to the faculty member's attention, bring clarity to the situation, hear his/her account and perspective, resolve disputes, and find a solution that satisfies all parties within the MPH program's policies and guidelines. If resolution is not possible or satisfactory, the student may explore the possibility of filing a grievance with the University Ombudsperson.

If you do not wish to provide written permission, the general issue can still be brought to the attention of faculty to help clarify policy or procedural adjustments that could help prevent similar situations in the future, but if the complaint involves a faculty member, it cannot be discussed without your written permission.