International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) centralizes immigration advising resources and co-curricular support programming for international students and scholars on campus. Our goal is to serve the needs of our international students and scholars and to enhance their experience in the United States and to integrate them into our community, while also contributing to their success during their tenure at SJSU and beyond.
New Immigration Guidelines for Fall 2020
ISSS and University officials are aware that the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has released new guidance about Fall 2020. We remain committed to all of our current Global Spartans and look forward to welcoming our new students to the Spartan family in fall 2020. We will work with each and every one of you in close collaboration with your academic departments to ensure that you can remain with us at SJSU and to continue with your studies and, ultimately, to receive your degree.
We are still in the midst of gathering information and data and will be communicating with you via email soon regarding next steps. Once we have more clarity on the direction we will be moving, ISSS will hold a Town Hall to answer your questions. We know these are trying times, but rest assured that you are our number one priority and your presence here is valued. We will continue to support you and we will find a solution. We thank you for your patience as we navigate these extenuating circumstances together.
News & Updates
- Independence Day Holiday -- In observance of Independence Day, ISSS will be closed on Friday, July 3rd.
- Sprintax Tax Webinar -- July 2, 2020, 9:00 a.m. (PST) Registration Required.
Sprintax is offering another free webinar about filing taxes for non-residents. Their services are specifically designed for international students and scholars.
- Expired I-765s Leading to Rejected OPT/STEM-OPT Applications -- If you will be applying for Post-Completion OPT or STEM-OPT Extension, please make sure that you are using the current version of the I-765 directly from the USCIS website.
- New! Front Desk Q/A Zoom -- Have a quick question? If so, instead of booking an advising appointment, join us for Front Desk Q/A Zoom. Mondays through Thursdays beginning on 06/09/2020. Please go here to review exact dates and times.
- Post-OPT Applications for Summer Grads-- Please review the Post-Completion OPT tutorial for the updated summer 2020 graduate OPT authorization dates.
- Effective Friday, May 15th, ISSS will begin to require all international students who wish to apply for initial, Post-Completion OPT or STEM-OPT Extension to pay a one-time fee. The fee will be $150.00 for Post-Completion OPT and $300.00 for the STEM-OPT Extension. This fee will be in addition to the USCIS $410.00 OPT (I-765) application fee. Please go to the following link to pay the fee if you apply for OPT (Post-Completion or STEM-Extension) on or after May 15th, 2020.
- F-1 FAQ for Covid-19-- We have compiled a FAQ list based on your queries from our virtual Town Hall Meetings. This FAQ addresses travel, employment, online courses, Credit/No-Credit courses, etc. during the Covid-19 pandemic. Prior to scheduling an appointment with us, please review this FAQ.
- ISSS services move online --Effective 03/17/2020, all ISSS operations will continue remotely. You will be able to schedule a zoom advising session with our advisors by going here.
- Please go here for updates on SJSU's response to the COVID-19 virus. You may also visit the Santa Clara County Public Health Center's website for the latest updates of coronavirus in Santa Clara County.
- Global Connections (Virtual): Every Monday from 12 to 1 via Zoom--Join our weekly Global Connections meetup to connect with people from around the world, explore cultural topics, and learn tips for improving your overall well being. Open to all students.