Sparta Camp (Frosh Orientation)
Sparta Camp (Frosh Orientation) is going virtual!
As a result of recent developments surrounding COVID-19, New Student and Family Programs has decided to make our summer orientation program a virtual experience. We are excited to use our virtual platforms to welcome our incoming students and their parents, families and/or supporters to SJSU!
Students attending an Sparta Camp who need live captioning or other accommodations should contact the Accessible Education Center (AEC) at email@example.com as soon as possible or at least two weeks prior to attending your orientation session.
All admitted students must attend one virtual Sparta Camp session and participate for the entire duration of the program, which will run for two (2) days. Day 1 begins with check-in at 9:00 am. Here you will get an official campus welcome, hear from various departments including Financial Aid and the Office of Diversity Equity and Inclusion, prepare you for your session with your college success center on day 2, and get a chance to connect with your Orientation Leader. Day 2 will also begin at 9:00 am and will end once you are done with your advising and course registration overview. Here you will get an opportunity to meet with your college success center and learn about academic requirements at SJSU.
Sparta Camp is mandatory and attendance will be recorded. If you do not attend, or if you leave during any portion of the event, you will be blocked from registering for classes and will NOT be able to attend SJSU in Fall 2020.
2020 Sparta Camp Session Dates
- Session 1: Thursday & Friday, June 11 & 12, 2020
- Session 2: Friday & Saturday, June 19 & 20, 2020
- Session 3: Thursday & Friday, June 25 & 26, 2020
- Session 4: Tuesday & Wednesday, June 30 & July 1, 2020
- Session 5: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 7 & 8, 2020
- Session 6: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 14 & 15, 2020
- Session 7: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 28 & 29, 2020
- Session 8: Thursday & Friday, August 6 & 7, 2020
Sparta Camp Schedule
You can access the Spartan Camp schedule HERE [pdf].
Changing your Session
You may change your session in your Next Steps student portal. Unfortunately, AFTER the June 1 deadline, we will be unable to accommodate changes to Sparta Camp sessions. If you have an emergency, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before Attending Sparta Camp
- Complete the Reflection on College Writing Assignment on your Canvas page.
- Complete Spartan Link Online Orientation Module.
- Review your confirmation letter sent to your MySJSU Messages one week prior to your Sparta Camp session.
You will receive a confirmation letter one week prior to your virtual orientation session with more information. Please check your MySJSU Messages through your OneSJSU Student Portal.
Parents and family members are also encouraged to attend orientation. There will be sessions specifically designed with their needs and questions in mind. Please visit our Parent & Family Orientation page for more information.