Data and Reports
The reports and news stories below can be helpful to those who want to have a deeper understanding of the challenges SJSU students face surrounding basic needs and the efforts that are underway at our campus and throughout the CSU system.
The links below cover much of the information we are often asked about in interview requests.
- Blog Post: Basic Needs Road Trip
- News Story: San Jose State University Combats Food Insecurity with Free Food Bank For Students NBC Bay Area (April 2019)
- News Story: Food pantry opens after long delay Spartan Daily (March 26, 2019)
- News Story: Food Bank Helps 'Starving Students' at SJSU KPIX 5 News (Nov. 16, 2018)
- News Story: SJSU Twitter page raises free food awareness Spartan Daily (Oct. 17, 2018)
- News Story: Food Pantry Finds Permanent Home Spartan Daily (Oct. 3, 2018)
Reports & Announcements
- What to Expect meeting with a Case Manager/Process [PDF].
- Spartan Food Pantry Participant Feedback Survey Report – Fall 2020 [PDF]
- 2019-2020 Summary Statistics [PDF].
- Outreach Efforts Overview [PDF].
- In the Know: Helping You Support Students’ Wellbeing (CSU Presentation) [PDF] [pdf]
- 2018 CSU Basic Needs Action Report [pdf]
Learn more about the CSU system-wide study on housing-displaced and food-insecure students commissioned by CSU Chancellor Timothy White.
- 2018 SHC Food Pantry Proposal
A formal proposal was written by the SHC this semester about a campus food pantry. The proposal has been reviewed by campus leadership and approved. If you wish to view the proposal please use this link for the most up to date version.
- 2018 SHC Senate Bill 85 Funding Announcement
News release: "San José State University Receives $130K in SB 85 Funding for Food Security Efforts."
- SJSU Food Security Timeline
An annotated history of food security efforts at SJSU can be found in a document from the Student Hunger Committee.
- 2014 SJSU Student Food Access Survey
Student food/basic needs survey administered with the assistance of the Division of Student Affairs, Associated Students, & Student Hunger Committee.