Become a Transformative Educator!
Become a transformative leader in Special Education, and lifelong learner who responds to racism, ableism, bigotry, and prejudice in schools and communities. Learn to center anti-racist and anti-ableist policies and practices in your teaching to disrupt systemic racism that has historically prevented full inclusion and equity for students with disabilities including BIPOC students and those with intersectional identities. Through your program of study develop culturally sustaining pedagogies and the principles of UDL, while partnering with your local districts to push for the success of students with disabilities in inclusive settings.
Special Education Announcements
- NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS for SUMMER and FALL 2024
- Summer 2024 Application deadline is April 1, 2024!
- Fall 2024 Application deadline is July 1, 2024!
- Application fee waivers are available! Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Education Funding Options
- PROJECT MOSAIC: Grant funding provides tuition support for students in the MA + Education Specialist Extensive Support Needs Credential Program. Accepting applications for the Fall 2024 Cohort. Attend an info session and contact email@example.com for details and supplemental application
Teacher Residency Program: Grant funding provides $34,000 stipend for students in our accelerated one-year residency program. Complete any of our Ed Specialist credentials and MA in one year. Accepting applications for the Summer 2024 Cohort. Attend an info sessiona and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details and supplemental application
- Apply for Lurie College scholarships via the Spartan Scholarship Application portal. The deadline is May 1. To learn more, please visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION
To learn more about our programs and the application process
Sessions held on Fridays via zoom from 4:00-5:00 pm on the following dates:
- January 19th, 2024
- February 16th, 2024
- March 1st, 2024
- March 15th, 2024
- April 19th, 2024
- May 17th, 2024
- June 7th, 2024
- June 21st, 2024
Once registered a zoom link will be sent.
Student and Faculty Spotlights
Learn More about SJSU Department of Special Education Alumni and Lecturer Natalie Cabral on the SJSU Lurie College Blog
Read the Special Education Department Chair's commentary on the state of inclusion in California that was recently published in EdSource
Current student Samuel Bland and recent alumni Monica Gonzalez facilitated the Q&A portion of our Intersectional Disability Studies Speaker Series, which featured guest speaker Lydia X.Z. Brown and was organized by faculty Dr. Saili Kulkarni and Dr. Sudha Krishnan.
Dr. Andy Golloher, as part of the SJSU Early Childhood Institute (ECI), hosted the webinar "Centralizing Our Dual-Language Learners: The Power of the Family-School Partnership in Early Childhood Education" with Ana Marisol Sanchez and Cory Wechsler, Program Coordinators at the Sobrato Early Academic Language (SEAL).