The Department of Special Education at San José State University offers Education Specialist (teaching) Credential programs for individuals who want to teach students and young children with disabilities. We also offer a Masters of Arts in Education with an Emphasis in Special Education and the opportunity for undergraduate students to receive a Minor in Special Education.
Our graduates are advocates for children, have the knowledge base that allows them to creatively meet the needs of a variety of student learners and work as change agents to make the lives of their students in school the very best. They have learned important evidence-based best practices for teaching students with disabilities and most importantly, they are passionate about learning and education.
Our Master's of Arts degree with a concentration in Early Childhood Special Education is ranked #34th in the nation for its excellent program.
If you are interested in applying to any of the programs, please navigate through the Prospective Students section of our website for additional information and guidelines for admission.
- Scholarships for Spring 2021 - The first 10 candidates officially admitted into SJSU and the Special Education program will each receive a $2000 automatically. Details to follow.
- Applications for Spring 2021 are due by November 1, 2020.
- Don't forget to Apply to SJSU using CalState Apply
- Spring 21 News: All courses and seminars will continue to be online either Synchronistic or Asynchronistic as Fall semester
- EDEL 108D (Math Methods) and EDEL 294 (Health) in Special Education is offered through the Department of Teacher Education. Spaces are automatically held for SPED students. Please request class information for any semester (fall, spring & summer) by emailing SPED Department (Suchi) : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information Session - Oct 2, 4-5 pm. Contact Department (email@example.com) for zoom link.
- Supervision Course Application (Interns and Student Teachers) for Spring 2021 - Due October 30, 2020.
- The Supervision Seminar dates (Fall 2020) for EDSE 105 are: August 20, September 17, October 15, November 19 and December 10.
- The Residency Seminar for EDSE 234 (Fall 2020) will meet on the following dates: Aug 20, Aug 27, Sept 10, Sept 24, Oct 1, Oct 8, Oct 29, Nov 5, Nov 19, and Dec 3.
The Supervision Seminar Dates (Fall 2020) for EDSE 154 & 217A are: August 20, October 15 and December 10.
Thank you to Special Education faculty Dr. Saili Kulkarni, who recently compiled this online resource for supporting mental health and disability during COVID-19 with a specific focus on the Asian American, Pacific Islander, and Desi Community!