The Department of Special Education at San José State University offers Education Specialist (teaching) Credential programs for individuals who want to teach students and young children with disabilities. We also offer a Masters of Arts in Education with an Emphasis in Special Education and the opportunity for undergraduate students to receive a Minor in Special Education.
Our graduates are advocates for children, have the knowledge base that allows them to creatively meet the needs of a variety of student learners and work as change agents to make the lives of their students in school the very best. They have learned important evidence-based best practices for teaching students with disabilities and most importantly, they are passionate about learning and education.
Our Master's of Arts degree with a concentration in Early Childhood Special Education is ranked #34th in the nation for its excellent program.
If you are interested in applying to any of the programs, please navigate through the Prospective Students section of our website for additional information and guidelines for admission.
- Applications for Fall 2021 are due by June 1, 2021.
- Don't forget to Apply to SJSU using CalState Apply
- Revised Deaprtment Checklist for Fall 2021
- Spring 21 News: All courses and seminars will continue to be online either Synchronistic or Asynchronistic as Fall semester.
- EDEL 108D (Math Methods) and EDEL 294 (Health) in Special Education is offered through the Department of Teacher Education. Spaces are automatically held for SPED students. Please request class information for any semester (fall, spring & summer) by emailing SPED Department (Suchi) : email@example.com
- Contact via Department Email : firstname.lastname@example.org for any query.
- Information Session on March 26th, 2021 @ 4 pm. (Please email: email@example.com for zoom link)
- Online MA Writing Assessment - See complete details at sjsu.edu/specialed/admissions/informational-meeting
- Supervision Course Application (Interns and Student Teachers) for Fall 2021 - Due May 1, 2021.
- The Supervision Seminar dates (Spring 2021) for EDSE 105 are:
1/28, 2/25, 3/18, 4/15, 5/13.
The Supervision Seminar Dates (Spring 2021) for Mod-Severe EDSE 154 & 217A are:1/28. 3/18, 5,13.
- The Supervision Seminar Dates (Spring 2021) for Early Childhood EDSE 154 only are: 1/28, 2/25, 3/18, 4/15, 5/13.
Residency Seminars for Students in Teacher Residency Program:
Mondays at 4:00 pm - Feb 1, Feb 22, Mar 15, Apr 12, May 3.
Thursdays at 7:00 pm - Feb 11, Mar 4, Mar 25, Apr 22, May 20.
Thank you to Special Education faculty Dr. Saili Kulkarni, who recently compiled this online resource for supporting mental health and disability during COVID-19 with a specific focus on the Asian American, Pacific Islander, and Desi Community!