Become a Transformative Educator!
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education Department of Special Education, we prepare professionals to be effective educators, leaders in the field, and lifelong learners. We do this in collaboration with other departments and with our community partners. Our faculty promote equity and excellence in our curricula and infuse nationally endorsed evidence-based practices in their instruction.
Our graduates are advocates for children and leave our program with the knowledge and skills necessary to creatively meet the needs of a variety of student learners. They work as change agents in local schools, ensuring students with diverse learning needs have full access to the general curriculum to achieve their very best.
Special Education Announcements
- Some of our admissions requirements have been modified for the Fall 2021 application cycle - view our department application checklist (Google Doc, last revised March 2021) to assist you.
- Our Fall 2021 application cycle for our credential programs and MA program has now been extended to Thursday, July 1. The next 10 applicants who are admitted will receive a $1000 scholarship.
- Applicants to our credential programs can also request fee waiver codes while supplies last; apply to our Teacher Residency Program to complete an accelerated program and receive up to $10,000 in funding; and apply to become an Impact San José Fellow, which provides up to $7500 in scholarship funding, mentorship and networking opportunities, and more.
- To learn more about our academic opportunities, attend our upcoming online info session on Friday, May 7, 4-5pm
- Summer 2021 Courses Available:
- EDSE 224 - Class #30536 - June 1-July 2 - Instructor: Dr. Kulkarni - Synchronistic/Asynchronistic format. Monday and Wednesday 4-8 PM Synchronistic classes as a group.
- EDSE 102 - Class #30537 - June 1-August 10 - Instructor: Dr. Henderson - 100% Asynchronistic Online
- EDEL 108D (Math Methods) and EDEL 294 (Health) in Special Education is offered through the Department of Teacher Education. Spaces are automatically held for SPED students. Request class information for the fall, spring, or summer session by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The remaining Supervision Seminar date for Spring 2021 EDSE 105 is May 13.
- The remaining Supervision Seminar date for Spring 2021 Mod-Severe EDSE 154 & 217A is May 13.
- The remaining Supervision Seminar date for Spring 2021 Early Childhood EDSE 154 is May 13.
- The remaining Residency Seminars for students in our Teacher Residency Program are Monday, May 3, at 4pm and Thursday, May 20 at 7pm.
Lurie College & SJSU Announcements
- 2022 U.S. News & World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about Special Education students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Meet Our Students & Faculty
Learn from Andrea, Erik, and Jessie, who presented their "Influence of an Influencer" lesson plan as part of their final project in their EDSE 224: Methodologies for Second Language Learners with Disabilities course and as part of the Fall 2020 Lurie College Learning Showcase.
Dr. Saili Kulkarni published the op-ed "South Asians Are Asians Too. When Will Our Racial Reckoning Be?" in Ms. Magazine. Read the full opinion piece at bit.ly/3aBtaRh.