What Are My Choices?

Individuals who are impacted by sex-based discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking, have resources and options available to them both on and off campus. A general overview of the resources and options are described below, many of which are available with or without an investigation or other grievance process. Individuals may access the below resources and options individually or in combination; in other words, the resources and options listed below are not mutually exclusive.

Report to SJSU's Title IX and Gender Equity Office 

Access Supportive Measures

Supportive measures are free, individualized services designed to restore or preserve a person’s access to the university’s education program, and protect the safety of the Parties or the educational environment.

You do not need to file a formal complaint to access supportive measures. Supportive measures may include course adjustments and other academic accommodations, workplace modifications, housing accommodations, academic campus escort services, connecting to counseling, mutual No Contact directives, or other reasonably available supportive measures.

More information about supportive measures can be found here: Available Supportive Measures Q&A.

File a Formal Complaint to Initiate the Grievance Process.

A formal complaint is a document (or email) filed by a Complainant or the Title IX and Gender Equity Officer requesting an investigation into an allegation of sex-based discrimination or harassment, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, or retaliation. The formal complaint should identify the Respondent and provide a brief summary of the conduct at issue.  If you have questions or need help filing a formal complaint, please contact our office at titleix@sjsu.edu.

Seek Support from Confidential Resources

The Campus Survivor Advocate (For student and employee Complainants)

Student Wellness Center

LifeMatters by Empathia (For employees)
Visit LifeMatters® online for more information. Password: SPARTANS
To speak to someone from LifeMatters® confidentially, call 800-367-7474.
Visit Counseling for Faculty and Staff for personal consultations.

Further information about confidential resources, and a list of additional resources, can be found on the Confidential and Non-Confidential Resources subpage.

Access Emergency Services

Call 911 or University Police (UPD) at 408-924-2222.

SJSU Police Department
1 Washington Square, 
San José, CA 95112

Seek Emergency Medical Assistance at the following locations:

Santa Clara Valley Medical Center 
751 Bascom Avenue 
San José, CA 95128

Regional Medical Center Emergency Room
225 N Jackson Avenue
San José, CA 95116

Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center Emergency Room
250 Hospital Parkway
San José, CA 95119

Obtain a Forensic Sexual Assault Examination

Santa Clara Valley Medical Center 
751 Bascom Avenue
San José, CA 95128

Contact Authorities

University’s Police Department [BROKEN LINK]

San Jose Police Department 

Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office

Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights 
San Francisco Office
U.S. Department of Education
50 United Nations Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94102
Email: OCR.SanFrancisco@ed.gov 

The U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division
Toll Free: 1-833-591-0289
Website: civilrights.justice.gov