Pre-Retirement Reduction in Time Base (PRTB)
What is the Pre-Retirement Reduction in Time Base (PRTB) program?
The PRTB program allows eligible faculty to work less than full time while still earning full service credit toward retirement for up to five years prior to taking retirement. This program affords faculty a transition period whereby they move from full-time employment to full-time retirement.
To compare PRTB to another transitional program, also see Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP).
See Article 30 of the CFA-CSU Agreement [pdf] for more information.
Eligibility for PRTB
Tenured faculty who are at least 55 years of age and not yet 65 years of age at the time they request entry into PRTB (or not yet 64 years of age if a member of STRS) are eligible to enter the program if they satisfy the following conditions:
- The faculty member has worked full-time in the CSU for at least ten (10) years AND
- They have been employed full-time continuously for the five (5) years immediately preceding entry into the PRTB program.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Pre-Retirement Reduction in Time Base application [pdf]
- Pre-Retirement Reduction in Time Base FAQs [pdf]
- See Article 30 [pdf] of the collective bargaining agreement
- Contact Us