Periodic Evaluation of Probationary and Tenured Faculty
The primary purpose of the periodic evaluation or “mini review” is to provide probationary faculty with an annual assessment of the progress they have made toward earning tenure and promotion. These reviews are formative, providing the probationary faculty with review of the 3 categories of achievement in University Policy S15-8, so as to encourage professional growth that will merit the award of tenure, and advancement in rank if applicable, by the end of the probationary period.
- Mini Review in eFaculty [YouTube]
- eFaculty Mini Review Faculty Training Guide [pdf]
- Mini Review Instructions [pdf]
- Full Deadline Calendar - Mini Review 2021-2022 [pdf]
- ASA-P [docx]
Post Tenure Review
Post tenure review is specified in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Article 15.35: For the purpose of maintaining and improving a tenured faculty unit employee’s effectiveness, tenured faculty unit employees shall be subject to periodic performance evaluations at intervals of no greater than five (5) years. SJSU’s policy on post tenure review is S97-5 [pdf]. It asserts that the purpose of the Post Tenure Review is to evaluate the professional effectiveness of the faculty member in terms of the scope and currency of their professional work, with reference to their current and future professional career plans. The review, to the extent possible, should focus on a positive, formative, and proactive approach to enhancing faculty careers.
- Post Tenure Review in eFaculty [YouTube]
- eFaculty Post-Tenure Review Faculty Training Guide [pdf]
- Post Tenure Review Instructions [pdf]
- Full Deadline Calendar - Post Tenure Review 2021-2022 [pdf]
eFaculty Training Information
UP-Faculty Services will be hosting training sessions for faculty due for either Mini Review or Post Tenure Review. During the sessions, the training videos will be shown, and UP-FS staff will be present to answer questions that you may have regarding the usage of eFaculty. The training sessions will be hosted via Zoom, and no registration is required.
- Mini Review Training Sessions
- Post Tenure Review Training Sessions
To receive a calendar invitation to either of these sessions, please email a request for the "eFaculty Training Link" to eFaculty@sjsu.edu. However, you can also select the link at the time of the training session to gain access.
- Evaluation of Faculty
- Evaluation of Teaching
- The Center for Faculty Development offers dossier preparation services to help faculty put forward their best case for advancement in the review process.
- Help for using eFaculty is available at our eFaculty Training and Help web page.
- CSU-CFA CBA Article 15 [pdf]
- What Goes Where? Preparing Materials in eFaculty [pdf]