Reference checks are important because they give you insight into a candidate's past performance, experience, strengths and even areas needing improvement. Consistency is vital in the hiring process, so be sure to ask the same questions about each candidate.
When conducting reference checks, remember that they should:
- Be performed by the hiring manager or the selection committee
- Be performed for both off-campus and on-campus applicants
- Include contacting present or recent employers
- Include questions that focus on candidate’s experience, qualifications and accomplishments
- SkillSurvey can be used for online reference checks for staff and management recruitments. Hiring managers and/or search committee members would not need to contact references, since SkillSurvey will collect this information for them. For more information on SkillSurvey, please contact your Recruiter.
See Recruiting Forms & Policies for more information and sample questions.