Your State and Educational Benefits
As a Division of Student Affairs, the Veterans Resource Center assists eligible student Veterans, Active Service persons, Dependents, Reservists, and National Guard Members with state and federal education benefit programs.
San José State University provides enrollment certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs for Veterans and Dependents and accepts the College Fee Waiver for Cal Vet recipients. We also assist students with their required VA Educational Plan and serve as liaison between the Office of the Registrar and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Using GI BILL®?
NEW FOR FALL 2021!!
MYSJSU Veterans Benefits module beginning June 15th.
You can now submit your GI Bill Benefits Request For Certification* straight through your MYSJSU portal! Use your SJSU username/password to log in to your MYSJSU account, then follow these directions on how to submit your request to be certified: Directions for New Vet Benefits portal
*please note, this is only for GI Bill benefits, CalVet fee waivers will need to submit those through the Calvet Fee Waiver Google Doc (see below).
CalVet Fee Waiver Submission 2021/2022:
- CALVET 2021/2022: Submit Fee Waiver here (must submit your County Veterans Service Office approval letter to our office each Academic year)
Prior Terms Benefits Processing requests:
GI Bill® Benefits and CalVet Fee Waiver Info
Please see respective terms below for which form you will fill out and submit your Enrollment Verification for. You MUST submit this for EACH TERM you wish to be back dated/certified for:
- GI Bill ® Summer 2021
- GI Bill® - Spring 2021 Returning Students (have been on benefits in prior terms at SJSU)
- GI Bill® - Spring 2021 New Students (or returning but just now activating benefits for first time)
- GI Bill® - Fall 2020 Returning Students
- GI Bill® - Fall 2020 New Incoming Students
- GI Bill® - Summer 2020
- CALVET 2020/2021: Submit Fee Waiver here (must submit your County Veterans Service Office approval letter to our office each Academic year)
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Rate of Pursuit for BAH purposes:
6.1-7.5= greater than 1/2
4-6.0=less than half
4.5-5.5= greater than 1/2 time
2.5-4=less than 1/2
5 week: 3.5+ =full time, 3 units=3/4 time, 2-2.5= half time, 1-1.5=1/4 time
10 week: 7+=full time, 5.5-6 =3/4 time, 4-5= 1/2 time, 1-3.5= 1/4 time
5 week: 1.5+=full time, 1=3/4 time, .5=1/4 time (there's no half time equivalent)
10 week: 3.5+=full time, 2.5=3/4 time, 2=half time, 1.5=less than 1/2 time, 1=1/4 time
Information for Students Using Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits (CH31) or Post 9/11 GI Bill® (CH33)
A student using Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits (CH31) or Post-9/11 GI Bill® (CH33) will be allowed to enroll in and attend courses and access campus facilities while the campus awaits payment for tuition and fees from the VA.
While awaiting receipt of funds from the VA, SJSU will not impose any penalty, charge late fees or require an eligible student to borrow additional funds to cover tuition or fees.This waiting period begins the date the student provides appropriate documentation and continues either until funds are received from the VA or until 90 days after the School Certifying Official has certified the student’s enrollment for tuition and fees.
To demonstrate current eligibility and intent to use Chapter 31 or 33 benefits, a student must provide the following documents:
- VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status); or
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Education Enrollment Status form (printed from
the VA website)
- A written request to use either VA Vocational Rehabilitation or Post 9/11 GI Bill
- All additional information requested by the School Certifying Official to properly
certify enrollment to the VA:
- Education Plan/Campus Roadmap for major
- Enrollment Verification Form
- DD-214 (for veterans)
For more information regarding this policy, contact your School Certifying Official, Robert Davis, or call 408-924-8129.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government GI Bill website.
If you will be using Tuition Assistance to cover your tuition charges with your Branch approval, please send our office your official Authorization of approval for TA once you have enrolled in courses and applied for your TA. Please email Authorization to: email@example.com
- ArmyIgnited UPDATE (formerly GoArmyEd): please see "How To" guide to set up an account and request Army TA in the new system here: How To Request TA in ArmyIgnited
- Students who are participating in the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program
may find additional information about tuition rates here:
VA Education and Training Comparison Tool
You may be eligible for various types of VA educational benefits, but there are many things to consider before you apply for the GI Bill program. For most participants, the Post 9/11 GI Bill is the best option. Other students would benefit more from the Montgomery GI Bill. The GI Bill comparison tool will help you evaluate which education and training option is best for you.
Examples of Summer Enrollment Benefits
Summer Session 1
|Summer Session 2
July 6 - Aug 7
|Summer Session 3
June 1 - Aug 7
|Ex. 1||3.5 units
Full BAH payment
Full BAH payment
|Ex. 2||7 units
Full BAH payment
|Less than half-time enrolled in 3 units during this 5-week period
Not eligible for BAH