How to Apply
To activate your benefits and apply to SJSU, follow the steps below.
- Complete the VA Application for Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990).
- Veterans: keep a copy of your DD-214 on hand to enter correct service dates.
- Dependents: Have the Social Security number of the parent who served time in the Armed Forces.
- If you are transferring from another school, complete the Change of Place of Training form (VA Form 22-1995 (Veteran) or 225495 (Dependent) ).
- This form is only used if you are transferring from another school where your educational benefits were used.
- Apply to San Jose State University at CalState Apply.
- If you intend to use Post 9/11 or Voc Rehab benefits at SJSU, you must provide your intent to use said benefits in writing to the Veterans Resource Center upon completing your application and submit your eligibility documentation in order to receive an enrollment and orientation fee waiver.
- Order official transcripts from all colleges you have attended.
- Take your transcripts to the Registrar’s office.
- Include any colleges you attended before, during, or after your military service.
- You may bring in official transcripts with you as long as they remain in a sealed envelope.
- Submit copy of DD-214, Member 4 Copy to Registrar.
- This is required to receive 6 units towards your degree if you completed at least 1 year of active duty.
- Schedule your Orientation.
- If you are a transfer student, go to the Transfer Orientation web page.
- During your orientation, you will meet with your department and receive a major requirements form.
- You must attend orientation to be able to schedule for classes.
- Schedule an appointment with an Academic Counselor in your major/college.
- Once the above steps have been completed, a counselor will evaluate your course work and assist you in mapping out an Education Plan that will clearly define your education goals.
- This is needed to receive VA education benefits.
- Once approved for VA educational benefits the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility
- Bring this letter (COE) to the Veterans Resource Center.
- If you are a dependent receiving the CalVet tuition fee waiver, make sure you apply
each academic year with your local county services veterans’ office.
- Bring your CalVet letter of approval to the Veterans Resource Center.
- Once you attend orientation, register for classes.
- Go to the one.sjsu Spartan App Portal.
- Sign in with your student I.D. and password.
- Once you have been provisionally accepted to the school and have attended orientation:
- Make sure to submit COE, DD214 (Veteran), Change of Place of Training form (22-1995 or 225495), and Education Plan to the Veterans Resource Center.
- Apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Veterans may be entitled to financial aid and fee waivers in addition to their GI Bill.
- Stop by the SJSU Financial Aid office for assistance or visit the Financial Aid website.
- Apply for scholarships.
- Student veterans can apply for department, private, and SJSU campus based scholarships. For more scholarship information visit the Scholarships web page.
- To apply for campus based scholarships visit the Academic Works web page and type in keyword search: "veterans or veteran", to locate specific scholarships.