California Promise at SJSU
The California Promise is a program established through California Senate Bill 412 to facilitate graduation in four years for freshmen, and two years for transfer students. The California Promise program is open to California residents for purposes of in-state tuition eligibility. Please see FAQs for more information.
Want to join California Promise for Spring 2019?
The California Promise program is open to all Spring 2019 incoming frosh and transfer students who are California residents for tuition purposes (this includes CA Dream Act students). There is a two-step process to join-
- Complete the Pledge Form to opt in to the program.
- Set up a four-year plan (freshmen) or a two-year plan (transfers) in MyPlanner.
What are the benefits of participating in the California Promise Program?
- Advising specific to graduating in four years for frosh; two years for transfers
- Early registration time (Example: Juniors in the California Promise Program are assigned registration times before other juniors.)
- On time completion of your degree can save you up to $50,000 over the course of your career. For more information, check out the Real Cost of College [pdf] infographic.
Who is eligible to participate?
Students eligible to join the California Promise Program include frosh or transfers who started in Fall 2017 or later and are a California resident for purposes of in-state tuition eligibility.
All other SJSU students should see SJSU’s MyGPS: Graduation Path to Success program. MyGPS has a suite of advising tools to help all enrolled students stay on track for graduation and to help incoming frosh Finish in 4 and incoming Transfers Take 2.
What are the requirements?
Once enrolled in the California Promise program, you must satisfy the requirements for continued enrollment in the Program:
- Have a four-year or two-year degree plan in MyPlanner.
- Successfully complete 30 units towards your degree every academic year (this includes Winter and Summer session). Degree applicable units do not include courses such as workshops or developmental courses taken as preparation for the requirements of you major.
- Complete your degree program within four years if you are a freshman, or two years if you are a transfer, beginning with the first term of enrollment.
- Maintain good academic standing, a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Complete all required courses on the first attempt with the minimum grade requirements for your major, including minimum grade requirements for prerequisites (check the catalog).
- Complete a California Promise advising workshop and associated workshop requirements every semester.
- Remain in your admitted major. If you change majors, you must receive approval from the California Promise advisor in the college of your new major verifying that the change of major will allow you to graduate in four years from your first term of enrollment as a freshman or two years from your first term of enrollment as a transfer student.
- Register for classes during your assigned California Promise priority registration window (within the first 24 hours of your registration appointment) and pay fees by the required deadlines.
- Address (clear) any registration holds prior to your assigned registration window.
- Take required classes when they are offered, regardless of scheduling time.
- If you take classes at another school after admission, submit a transcript as soon as your grades are posted at that school and send an email to Undergraduate Admissions Evaluation at email@example.com to alert them the transcript was submitted to SJSU.
How to apply to SJSU’s California Promise Program?
All incoming frosh and transfer students are invited to join California Promise during orientation. Incoming students should look for a California Promise message in their MySJSU account in May for fall admits and January for spring admits. There are also instructions for how to join in Module One of the Spartan Ready Canvas site for incoming students.
If you missed joining during that time, there will be an open period each fall semester to join (or re-join if you were removed and are now eligible again). You must have a four-year or two-year degree plan already in place in MyPlanner to be eligible to join at that time. Those students with a four-year or two-year degree plan in MyPlanner will receive a MySJSU message with information on the steps to take to join. If you have questions about how to create your four-year or two-year degree plan in MyPlanner, contact your college success center.
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your name, SJSU ID, and major so that your question can be directed to the California Promise advisor for your college.