California Promise at SJSU
The California promise is a program established through California Senate Bill 412 to facilitate graduation in four years for freshmen, and two years for transfer students who have completed an Associate Degree for Transfer.
Who is eligible to participate?
Beginning Fall 2017, incoming new students eligible to join the California Promise Program include:
- All incoming freshmen - you can submit your intent to participate as part of the admission process or at orientation.
- All incoming transfers with an Associate Degree for Transfer - you can submit your intent to participate as part of the admission process or at orientation.
- For all participants - you must be a California resident for purposes of in-state tuition eligibility
What are the requirements?
Once enrolled in the California Promise program, you must satisfy the requirements for continued enrollment in the Program:
- Successfully complete 30 units towards your degree every academic year (this includes Winter and Summer session).
- Maintain good academic standing, a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Complete a California Promise advising workshop and associated workshop requirements every semester.
- If you change your major, you must meet with an advisor in your new major to determine continued eligibility in the California Promise Program. Continued eligibility will only be given if the change of major does not extend your time to degree.
- Enroll in classes during the established priority registration period and pay fees by the required deadlines.
- If you take classes at another school after admission, submit a transcript as soon as your grades are posted at that school and send an email to Undergraduate Admissions Evaluation at firstname.lastname@example.org to alert them the transcript was submitted to SJSU.
If you become ineligible to continue in the California Promise Program, you can petition to rejoin at any time as long as you meet the criteria for continuing students described below.
All continuing students can petition to join the California Promise Program, if they:
- Have an SJSU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above
- Have a multi-semester plan verified by a California Promise Advisor that verifies your plan from start of enrollment to graduation is four years for those that started at SJSU as frosh and two years for those that started at SJSU as transfers.
What are the benefits of participating in the California Promise Program?
- Advising specific to graduating in four years for frosh; two years for transfers
- Early registration time (Example: Juniors in the California Promise Program are assigned registration times before other juniors.)
- On time completion of your degree can save you up to $50,000 over the course of your career. For more information, check out the Real Cost of College [pdf] infographic.