California Promise at SJSU
The California Promise is a program established through California Senate Bill 412 to facilitate graduation in four years for freshmen, and two years for transfer students. The California Promise program is open to California residents for purposes of in-state tuition eligibility. Please see FAQs for more information.
Want to join the California Promise Program?
The California Promise program is open to all incoming frosh and transfer students who are California residents for tuition purposes (this includes CA Dream Act students) at the beginning of their first term at SJSU. There is a two-step process to join:
- Complete the Pledge Form to opt in to the program through the "To Do List" task on your MySJSU.
- Set up a four-year plan (freshmen) or a two-year plan (transfers) in MyPlanner by the end of your first term at SJSU.
What are the benefits of participating in the California Promise Program?
- Advising specific to graduating in four years for frosh; two years for transfers
- Early registration time within their registration group (Example: Juniors in the California Promise Program are assigned registration times before other juniors.)
- On time completion of your degree can save you up to $50,000 over the course of your career. For more information, check out the Real Cost of College webpage.
Who is eligible to participate?
Students eligible to join the California Promise Program include frosh or transfers
who started in Fall 2017 or later and are a California resident for purposes of in-state tuition eligibility. Students must
sign the Pledge form for the California Promise Program their first term at SJSU.
All other SJSU students should see SJSU’s MyGPS: Graduation Path to Success program. MyGPS has a suite of advising tools to help all enrolled students stay on track for graduation and to help incoming frosh Finish in 4 and incoming Transfers Take 2.
What are the requirements?
Once enrolled in the California Promise program, you must satisfy the requirements for continued enrollment in the Program:
- Have a four-year or two-year degree plan in MyPlanner completed by the end of your first term at SJSU.
- Successfully complete 30 units towards your degree every academic year at SJSU (this includes Winter and Summer session at SJSU).
- Complete your degree program within four years if you are a freshman, or two years if you are a transfer, beginning with the first term of enrollment.
- Maintain good academic standing, a GPA of 2.0 or above at SJSU.
- Complete all required courses on the first attempt with the minimum grade requirements for your major, including minimum grade requirements for prerequisites (check the catalog).
- Remain in your admitted major. If you apply to change majors, you must receive approval from the California Promise advisor in the college of your new major verifying that the change of major will allow you to graduate in four years from your first term of enrollment as a freshman or two years from your first term of enrollment as a transfer student.
- Register for classes during your assigned California Promise priority registration window (within the first 24 hours of your registration appointment) and pay fees by the required deadlines.
- Address (clear) any registration holds prior to your assigned registration window.
- Take required classes when they are offered, regardless of scheduling time.
How to apply to SJSU’s California Promise Program?
All incoming California resident (for tuition purposes) frosh and transfer students
are invited to join California Promise through a task on the "To Do List" located
Incoming students should look for a message on their MySJSU account in August for fall admits and January for spring admits about a new assigned task on their "To Do List" for California Promise.
You must have a four-year or two-year degree plan on MyPlanner by the end of your first term at SJSU to be eligible for the California Promise Program. If you have questions about how to create your four-year or two-year degree plan in MyPlanner, contact your college success center.
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your name, SJSU ID, and major so that your question can be directed to the California Promise advisor for your college.