Eligibility to Work

Staff and Management Positions

In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of employment eligibility and identification are required at the time of hire.

  • San José State University is not a sponsoring agent for staff positions and may only hire individuals who are legally able to work in the United States.
  • Within three days from the date of hire, candidates must provide proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility or authorization to work in the United States.

Tenured & Tenure-Track Faculty Employment Based Visas

University Personnel can assist with the H-1B and Permanent Resident Status – EB-2 (Green Card) application process for candidates who have accepted full-time, tenure-track faculty positions.

  • SJSU does not sponsor non-tenure track (temporary) faculty for the H1-B Visa or EB-2 Permanent Residency.
  • University Personnel does not provide legal advice.
  • No person can be guaranteed approval of immigration status or change in status.
  • Contact University Personnel at 408-924-6670 for assistance with the H-1B or EB-2 process. 

Note: San José State University does not participate in E-Verify, therefore the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension does not provide work authorization for employment at SJSU.


I-9 Compliance

Verification of work authorization status is mandated by the Immigration Reform and Control Act before every prospective employee can begin work. The appropriate form which must be completed is Form I-9 (PDF)

Do not fill out Form I-9 before your first day.

The form must be filled out in University Personnel on your first day of hire during your new employee orientation. You must provide proof of identity and proof of eligibility to work in the United States at that time. Refer to the Lists of acceptable documents [pdf].

In addition, you should be prepared to provide emergency contact information, account and routing numbers for enrollment into the Direct Deposit Program, as well as vehicle information for a University parking permit.