The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) is offering the IGD Institute (IGDI) during the Fall Semester of 2022.
The IGDI, open to members of our SJSU community (students, staff, faculty, and administrators), to be a part of ODEI's effort to buld individual capacity, skills and awareness. The IGDI provides participants with content and process knowledge associated with the design and facilitation of Intergroup Dialogue in Tertiery Education.1, 2 The Institute also supports our IGD program as it prepares participants to facilitate stand alone dialogue events, as well as IGD dialogue groups to be held during the spring semester of 2023. Content reviewed at the Institute can help improve teaching, and interaction across different social identity groups - practical skills for helping create a more inclusive campus climate at SJSU.
SJSU Campus (ie: non-Zoom) Location To Be Determined
- Friday, October 21, 2022, 10am - 4pm
- Friday, November 4, 2022, 10am - 4pm
- Friday, November 18, 2022, 10am - 4pm
- Friday, December 2, 2022, 10am - 4pm
- Friday, January 27, 2023, 10am - 4pm
IGD Institute Goals
The overall goals for the IGD Institute are:
- to foster understanding of the intergroup dialogue model for engaging social identities, diversity, and social justice.
- to train and support a cohort of Facilitators (students, faculty, staff, and administrators) who will acquire the skills and capacity for engaging with the campus community on issues related to campus climate and issues of equity, diversity and inclusion .
- to develop institutional capacity through collaborations and access to resources and tools to support the ODEI’s ongoing efforts to create an inclusive campus at SJSU.
If you would like to join us for the IGD Institute, we ask that you please fill out an application. Applications will be open between now and October 7, 2022.
Here are a number of Frequently Asked Questions. Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact craig for more information.
Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact craig for more information.
1 Zúñiga, X., Nagda, B. A., Chesler, M., & Cytron-Walker, A. (Eds.). (2007). Intergroup dialogue in higher education: Meaningful learning about social justice. Washington, DC: Association for the Study of Higher Education.
2 Gurin, P., Nagda, B. A., & Zúñiga, X. (2013). Dialogue across difference: Practice, theory and research on intergroup dialogue. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.