Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
Interested in Supporting Undergraduates in a Research setting?
The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) is an exciting opportunity launching this Fall semester (fall 2021) for students to engage in research and mentorship opportunities with SJSU faculty in their discipline or project of interest.
What is the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP)?
UROP seeks to improve retention and to enrich the academic experience at San José State University (SJSU) by engaging students in research, scholarly, and creative activity during their first and second years. Through UROP students will work up to 10 hours per week with a faculty mentor on research or scholarly projects (hours and project are determined based on faculty project submissions). Students will be enrolled in a 3 credit course with other UROP participants, meet regularly with a peer mentor, and present their research at the end of the year symposium.
Which Faculty Can Participate?
We are reaching out to faculty from the specific colleges below. The goal is to engage non-STEM students and researchers as we pilot this endeavor before expanding to the entire campus.
- College of Social Science
- College of Humanities and Arts
- College of Education
- College of Health and Human Sciences
- College of Business
What Is Expected Of Faculty Mentors?
Faculty mentors will have the following expectations:
- Be willing to allow mistakes and growth from student participants
- Participate in the program through the duration of the academic year (Fall 21’/Spring 22’)
- Attend one faculty mentor orientation (time TBD)
- Meet regularly with your research assistant(s)
- Check-in with Faculty Coordinator once per semester or as needed
- Assist student research assistant with final poster or presentation
What Is The Timeline Of The Program?
In this pilot year, our goal is to have all proposed faculty RSCA projects submitted by the end of August. Students will begin reaching out to faculty to interview for that project through September and October. By early November it is our hope that each student will be paired with a faculty mentor and project.
What Will I Receive?
- Opportunities to create and build community across campus
- Direct engagement and mentorship opportunity of students early in their SJSU journey
- Professional development funds up $250