Students are welcome to create their own emphases within the HFE program. All HFE students must complete the core course requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements page of this site. A great deal of flexibility is granted in the elective courses that HFE students may take.
Below are some suggestions for elective courses offered at SJSU that are relevant to certain potential HFE emphases.
Note: not all classes are offered on a consistent basis.
Cognitive Psychology Emphasis
- Psyc 220 - Seminar in Experimental Psychology
- Psyc 235 - Seminar in Cognitive Psychology
- Psyc 256 - Seminar in Perception
Human-Computer Interaction Emphasis
- ISE 217 - Human-Computer Interaction
- ISE 219 - Research in Human Computer Interaction
- ISE 218 - Interaction Design I
- ISE 220 - Interaction Design II
- CS 235 - UI Design
- ANTH 149 - Ethnographic Techniques
- DSID 131 - Interactive and Interface Design
- ISE 112 - Occupational Health
- ISE 114 - Safety Engineering
- KIN 257 - Biomechanics
- KIN 255 - Advanced Exercise Physiology
- KIN 250 - Fundamentals of Quantitative Research
- DSID 226 - Ergonomics for Design