- Baccalaureate degree with overall minimum GPA of 3.0 in last 60 semester or quarter units
- Strong writing skills and evidence of quantitative ability
- Multicultural experience
- Clear commitment to public health as demonstrated through work or volunteer experiences
- 2 years post-baccalaureate health related experience preferred
- Submission of 2 applications - To SJSU via Cal State Apply and to the MPH Program. See Checklist below for details.
- GRE is not required.
MPH Admissions Checklist:
Step 1: Apply to SJSU
- Review SJSU/Cal State Apply deadlines
- SJSU deadlines differ from the MPH program deadlines. Please take a moment to review SJSU's Domestic and International application deadlines: SJSU GAPE Deadlines
- SJSU Domestic deadline is June 1, 2023 (document deadline June 20, 2023) - Extended and Final Deadline
- SJSU International deadline is April 1, 2023 (document deadline April 20, 2023).
- Pay application fee
- Official transcripts sent via mail or electronically:
- For international transcripts send to World Education Service (WES). Due to the pandemic, additional evaluation services are provided. Please refer to SJSU's website for more details.
- For domestic transcripts send to:
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0100
- If your university offers official electronic transcripts, SJSU will also accept this method of delivery. If your university requires an email address to send an official, electronic transcript, the recipient address is: email@example.com
- Apply online at Cal State Apply
Step 2: Application to the MPH Program
- Select one format only (Campus or Online). You may not transfer after acceptance.
- Complete application
- Review MPH Program deadlines
- MPH application deadlines are listed in the MPH Admissions Information Packet and the MPH Application. Please review both links.
- MPH application deadlines are:
- February 1, 2023 (early admissions)
- June 1, 2023 (regular admissions)
- If you are an International applicant, you must submit an application by April 1, 2023 to abide by SJSU's deadline.
- At least two letters of recommendation
- Must be on official letterhead, signed, and include contact information for author. The MPH Program will request letters from your writer. Letters from applicants will not be accepted.
- Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages)
- A statement of purpose is an important document in your application. This is a space for you to tell us what sets you apart from all the other applicants in terms of academic and professional background, your personal interests, beliefs and goals.
- When you are writing your statement of purpose for MPH at SJSU, tell us what led you to public health and why you want to pursue a masters degree in public health. Explain why you selected our program, an MPH in Community Health Education, and how you think it will help you achieve your goals. Finally, include what strengths/qualities you will bring to the SJSU MPH program and the SJSU Spartan community.
- You can find more details in the information packet for Fall 2023 admissions
- Link to MPH Application
- Please note that you must use a computer (not a mobile device) to complete this application. You will be required to upload several documents.
- Please have your Statement of Purpose and Resume prepared and ready to upload during this application process.