Academic and Test Preparation (ATP)
Improve your English and develop the academic skills necessary for success in an American university or college. The Academic and Test Prep program is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), so you can be sure the instruction you receive is of the highest quality.
- Accredited by CEA
- 8 proficiency levels from low beginner to advanced
- Core courses in Oral Communication, Written Communication, and Reading Skills
- Learn test preparation strategies with our GRE and TOEFL elective classes and workshops
- Customize your study schedule with elective classes such as Eglish through TED Talks, American History, TOEFL Preparation, Business English, Clear Communication
- Small class sizes
- Free campus Wi-FI access
- Free Clipper Card - local transportation pass
- Regularly scheduled Institutional (paper-based) TOEFL
Due to COVID-19, IG is offering the Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 ATP sessions in a hybrid mode. The hybrid program consists of online and in-person components. Here is what we will be offering.
- Class time: “Live” class meetings for discussions with the teachers and your classmates.
- Outside the Class Assignments: Interactive activities which can be completed individually or with your classmates before class discussions. The assignments can be completed day or night (when it is best for students).
- Three in-person activities on SJSU campus per every 9-week session.
- One-on-one Teacher Feedback: Weekly time when students can receive one-on-one feedback from teachers.
- Electives: A variety of electives such as testing skills, academic vocabulary, and American culture and history.
- Activities: Cultural discussions, games, and Conversation Club.
- Academic and Conditional Admission/ Eligibility (ICA) Advising: Live sessions with IG advisors available.
- You must be 18 years or older or have graduated from high school
- F-1 and Non-F-1 visa holders are welcome to apply
- Full-time (for F-1) and part-time enrollment (for non-F-1 students) options are available
- Classes start year round (January, March, June, August or October)
- Study for a full semester (17 weeks) or a 9-week session
Pre-COVID Sample Schedule for On-campus Studies
*This is an example schedule. Actual student schedule may be different.
|Written Communication||Reading Skills||Written Communication||Reading Skills||Written Communication|
|Oral Communication||Oral Communication||Oral Communication|
- Full-time advanced students in the ATP program who meet the TOEFL requirement may be able to take one to two SJSU classes along with ATP English classes.
- Students may be eligible to take three to six units of transferable university credit in a variety of subjects.
- Concurrent enrollment courses are based on availability. Business, art, computer science, and some engineering courses are limited.
- There is an additional fee of $100 per unit for SJSU classes.
Here’s what Nawaf has to say: “Being a student at IG has helped me in learning not only English, but also valuable skills such as critical thinking and public speaking. In IG, I was able to meet the world at one place by making international friends. I would definitely study at IG, if I had the chance again because it changed my whole life and prepared me for college life.” Read more stories