Semester at SJSU (SAS)
Study with American students and experience American university life!
Enroll in one or two semesters of full-time undergraduate or graduate study at San José State University without having to submit a formal application to the university.
Through our Semester at SJSU (SAS) Program, students:
- may enroll in 12 units of undergraduate level or 9 units of graduate level SJSU coursework
- experience the expectations of American university classes
- study in classes with regular SJSU professors and students
- earn course credits that are posted to an official SJSU transcript
- transfer earned course credits to other colleges or universities
Note: SAS students must register during the first week of class through the "Open University" system. Enrollment in any specific SJSU course cannot be guaranteed.
- Work with an Academic Advisor to determine which courses will be most useful to you
- Advisors help you transfer your SJSU course units to other universities
SJSU courses are academic credit bearing. Students can order an official SJSU transcript with course grades at the end of each semester. These courses and grades are transferable to other universities.
Applicants must be 18 years old or older or have graduated from high school. Applicants must submit an online application and application fee.
The following documents are required in order to receive an SAS I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa:
- Passport Page
- Bank Statement in English of at least $19,000 USD
- Financial Statement Form for SAS
- High school certificate if you are under the age of 18
- For undergraduate students, an unofficial transcript is required showing all the courses that have been taken thus far
- SAS course wishlist which shows your 8 preferred classes that you would like to sign up for
- Proof of English Proficiency - the minimum English language proficiency requirements for SAS as follows:
|Undergraduate Study||Test||Minimum Score|
|Internet-Based TOEFL- iBT||71|
|International English Language Testing System- IELTS||6.0|
|Pearson Test of English-PTE||44|
|Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst - DAAD||B/C|
|Common European Framework of Reference - CEFR||B2|
|Institutional TOEFL (ITP)or Equivalent||530|
(200 Level courses)
|Internet-Based TOEFL- iBT||80|
|International English Language Testing System- IELTS||6.5|
|Pearson Test of English-PTE||53|
Students who have not yet attained the minimum required English language proficiency test score should apply for the Academic and Test Preparation (ATP) Program to help prepare them for university courses in a later semester.
Graduate Study (200-level courses) Additional Admissions Requirements:
- Students submit an unofficial undergraduate transcript showing completion of a 4-year bachelor's degree from a recognized, accredited, and approved institution from a country outside of the U.S.
- Students must not be in a disqualified status from SJSU or have been denied admission into an SJSU graduate program.
- Students can enroll in a maximum of 9 units of graduate/200- level courses.
- SAS graduate enrollment is limited to one semester.
Important notice: Starting August 25th, 2020, the application process for SAS will change. Please review the information below.
Your SAS application will involve the following portals:
See the complete application process here (PDF).
- CalStateApply (CalStateApply Tutorial PDF)
- Payment page (you will receive the link from IG Admissions by email)
- Secure document upload portal (you will receive the link from IG Admissions by email)
Application Steps for Semester at SJSU (SAS)
- Complete and submit an application for SAS in CalStateApply.
- Look for an email from SJSU Admissions with a 9-digit SJSU ID number. You will need your SJSU ID number to do many things, so please memorize it.
- Receive an email from IG Admissions with the links to the payment page and secure document upload portal.
- Use the payment portal to pay the SAS application fee of $150 USD.
- Download and complete the Student Consent for Release of Information and SJSU Declaration of Finance forms (Fall/ Spring semester, Summer semester).
- Use the secure documents upload portal to upload the required documents to complete your SAS application.
- Receive the Acceptance Letter for the SAS program, and a digital I-20 (for F-1 students) issued by International Gateways. These documents will be sent to the email you indicate in your CalStateApply application for the SAS program.
To apply for the program, please visit our Apply Now page for more information.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
“Studying abroad at International Gateways, San Jose State University in California was the most life-changing decision of my academic and private life. I had the opportunity to experience American student life in Silicon Valley. Hard study, a supportive environment and new international friends were the perfect recipe to master adventures in the Wild Wild West. In addition, SJSU gave me a rocket start on the path to pursue my goals. I recently completed my MBA and am now working in the marketing department for a company in the heart of Silicon Valley”. Read more stories