Requesting a DS-2019
Process for Submitting a DS-2019
Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status
- Department or faculty sponsor invites the visiting professor or researcher (timing
- Department and Division submits the DS-2019 request form to the scholar advisor liason via email to email@example.com.
- Upon receiving a completed request form and confirmation of the English language proficiency, required by Department of State, the scholar advisor will issue a DS-2019 within 5 business days.
- The DS-2019, welcome letter, and pre-arrival information can be Fedexed directly to the scholar, if the department sends over a prepaid mailing label, or ISSS will forward it back to department to mail out. (one week, once packet is complete)
- After receiving the DS-2019 the exchange visitor pays the I-901 SEVIS fee, applies for a J-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate, which may take anywhere from 1-4 months or longer, depending on the country of origin. (1-4 months)
- Exchange visitor arrives in the U.S. within 30 days of the program start date. The EV onboards with the assigned Academic Personnel/Payroll staff, reports to ISSS, and attends new scholar orientation
- After completing orientation ISSS will validate the J-1 EV's SEVIS record.
Please note: Fulbright scholars receive their DS-2019 from the Institute of International Education (IIE). However, they require the same process as J-1 scholars sponsored by SJSU. Please also inform ISSS if you are hosting a Fulbright Scholar.
Share and Print