CalFresh, known federally as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), provides a monthly cash supplement loaded onto a debit/EBT card to purchase groceries. CalFresh assistance has helped many students who are experiencing budget restraints.
|Santa Clara & San Mateo Residents >>> Request CalFresh Sign Up Assistance from Second Harvest of Silicon Valley|
|Students outside of Santa Clara & San Mateo counties (including other states) please consider this National SNAP Directory.|
Common Eligibility Requirements
- Eligible for Work Study or have an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) of $0. 🢀 Temporary Expansion of Eligibility due to COVID-19 (Ending 06.09.2023)
- Between 18 and 49 years old
- Attending at least half time
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, asylum seeker or victim of trafficking or domestic violence
- Approved for Cal Grant A or B (conditions apply), federal work-study etc.
Remember, if you’ve recently experienced a loss or decrease in employment income, you may be newly eligible for CalFresh, and should reapply.
- Current CalFresh recipients may see a decrease in monthly awards [starting in April 2023] due to the end of pandemic related emergency allotments. To update your information or circumstances, you may contact your local county social services office by calling 1-877-847-3663 or to visit your local county social services office in person.
- Due to the end of Federal Public Health Emergency (PHE), beginning 06.10.2023, temporary exceptions (above) will be rescinded [Shift from eligible to utilizing work study; EFC exception will be discontinued].
Signing Up/Sign-Up Assistance
Students can apply themselves, but we highly recommend using one of the following sign-up assistance programs where trained staff/volunteers can help guide you through the process.
SJSU Cares partners with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley in offering CalFresh assistance to students in Santa Clara & San Mateo County by phone: 1-800-984-3663 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm) or by requesting them to reach out to you.
Sign up for CalFresh Without Assistance
To see if you are eligible, go to the Get CalFresh website and click “Apply Now."
Farmer's Markets and CalFresh
Many farmers markets will double your money if you use CalFresh to purchase your fruits and vegetables!