|Santa Clara & San Mateo Residents >>> Request CalFresh Sign Up Assistance|
|SJSU Cares has partnered with Second Harvest to offer 1:1 phone assistance with CalFresh applications.|
CalFresh or SNAP provides a monthly cash supplement loaded onto a debit/EBT card to use for buying groceries. CalFresh assistance has helped many students who are experiencing budget restraints.
Common Eligibility Requirements
- Eligible for Work Study or have an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) of $0. 🢀 New Temporary Expansion of Eligibility due to COVID-19
- Between 18 and 49 years old
- Attending at least half time
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, asylum seeker or victim of trafficking or domestic violence
- Approved for Cal Grant A or B (conditions apply), federal work-study, EOP, MESA, or other qualifying state or federally funded program at SJSU.
Signing Up/Sign-Up Assistance
Students can apply themselves, but we highly recommend using one of the following sign-up assistance programs where trained staff/volunteers can help guide you through the process.
SJSU Cares partners with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley in offering CalFresh assistance to students in Santa Clara & San Mateo County by phone: 1-800-984-3663 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm) or by requesting them to reach out to you.
Remember, if you’ve recently experienced a loss or decrease in employment income, you may be newly eligible for CalFresh, and should reapply.
Students outside of Santa Clara & San Mateo counties (including other states please consider this National SNAP Directory
What's the difference between CalFresh, SNAP, & Food Stamps?
The federal program formerly known as food stamps was renamed SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), and in California it's named CalFresh.
Farmer's Markets and CalFresh
Many farmers markets will double your money if you use CalFresh to purchase your fruits and vegetables!
- Farmers' markets that accept CalFresh (note some may be changed due to the pandemic)
CalFresh Reference Information
- CalFresh Quick Reference Guide [pdf]
- CalFresh drug-felony policy change [pdf]
- Myths and facts about CalFresh [pdf]
Sign up for CalFresh Without Assistance
To see if you are eligible, go to the MyBenefits CalWIN website and click “Am I eligible?” You may also begin the application process online at this site.