|Request CalFresh Sign Up Assistance|
|SJSU Cares has partnered with Second Harvest to offer 1:1 phone assistance with CalFresh applications.|
CalFresh or SNAP provides a monthly cash supplement loaded onto a debit card to use for buying groceries. CalFresh assistance has helped many students who are experiencing budget restraints.
Financial aid is not counted as income. You will need to submit this form [pdf] with your application if you receive financial aid.
Common Eligibility Requirements
- Between 18 and 49 years old
- Attending at least half time
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, asylum seeker or victim of trafficking or domestic violence
- Approved for Cal Grant A or B (conditions apply), federal work-study, EOP, MESA, or other qualifying state or federally funded program at SJSU.
Signing Up/Sign-Up Assistance
Students can apply themselves, but we highly recommend using one of the following sign-up assistance programs where trained staff/volunteers can help guide you through the process.
Remember, if you’ve recently experienced a loss or decrease in employment income, you may be newly eligible for CalFresh, and should reapply.
Second Harvest of Silicon Valley offers CalFresh assistance by phone: 1-800-984-3663 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm) or by requesting them to reach out to you.
What's the difference between CalFresh, SNAP, & Food Stamps?
The federal program formerly known as food stamps was renamed SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), and in California it's named CalFresh.
Farmer's Markets and CalFresh
Many farmers markets will double your money if you use CalFresh to purchase your fruits and vegetables!
CalFresh Reference Information
- CalFresh Quick Reference Guide [pdf]
- CalFresh drug-felony policy change [pdf]
- Myths and facts about CalFresh [pdf]
Sign up for CalFresh Without Assistance
To see if you are eligible, go to the MyBenefits CalWIN website and click “Am I eligible?”