The options are many. The choice is yours! Choose your adventure:
Whether you want to spend a year, a semester, or a few weeks becoming a global citizen, Study Abroad and Away has a program that will provide you with an amazing opportunity to learn about different cultures and perspectives. Choose your adventure and see what the world has in store for you!
Go for a semester or full year! Explore our long-term programs that allow you to go abroad for a semester or a year:
- SJSU Exchange – pay your regular SJSU tuition and spend a semester or two abroad at one of our partner universities!
- CSU Chancellor's Office International Programs (CSUIP) – spend a year learning the ins and outs of a new country and culture!
- International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) – study in unique locations around the world!
Go for a shorter experience! Check out our short-term programs and study abroad from a week to a whole summer:
- Faculty Led Programs – join SJSU faculty as they lead a cohort of SJSU students while teaching an SJSU course on a short-term program, all the while, experiencing a new culture, meeting locals and doing your coursework as you go!
- Summer School Abroad – experience an international university’s summer school program with locals and students from around the world!
- Alternative Spring Break - explore a new culture and do service as a volunteer in your host community!
Study Abroad information sessions and events are held throughout the year. Click here to check out the calendar of what is coming up next!
Why study abroad or away?
There are many reasons why studying abroad or away can be a great option for you and can greatly benefit your academic, personal and professional growth as an SJSU student. Students who study abroad can:
- Earn credit abroad
- Take classes in another country
- Immerse yourself in another language or culture
- Build a global network
- Develop valuable cross-cultural skills that are essential for today’s global society
- Increase your employability
These are just some of the ways that studying abroad or away can significantly enhance your SJSU experience. Check out the articles below for additional information on the benefits of studying abroad or away:
The CDC issued guidance on March 1, 2020 and advised the postponement or cancellation of all upcoming student foreign exchange programs. The CDC notes, and we believe, that “students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning home or accessing health care while abroad.” Additionally, as of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization has determined that the Coronavirus now considered a global pandemic.
Due to the dynamic threat of the Coronavirus and its potential impact on students’ health and safety, Study Abroad and Away office has taken the following actions in regards to our programs:
- All spring break programs (Alternative Spring Break and Faculty-led Programs) have been cancelled.
- Semester and Year Long programs:
- Spring semester abroad programs have been cancelled.
- Fall semester abroad programs have been cancelled, effective 4/23/20. Students impacted
by this decision are encouraged to defer their semester abroad to spring 2021. Please
contact SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for assistance if you are impacted by this cancellation.
- The travel portion of all Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) for Summer 2020 will be cancelled. The majority of the programs will continue to offer the FLP course in an online format. For programs that will not be modified for an online course format, we will work with those impacted students to provide alternative options.
- All Summer School Abroad (SSA) programs for Summer 2020 have been cancelled. Impacted students are advised to identify SJSU Summer Session Courses to take in lieu of their Summer School Abroad courses.
- Winter break Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) are still accepting applications at this time. We will continue to monitor the situation globally over the next few months and notify students if there are any changes to the winter break FLPs.
Please reach out to us at SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for questions or if you need assistance. If an emergency, contact the University Police Department at 408-924-2222.