The options are many. The choice is yours! Choose your adventure:
Search All Programs
Whether you want to spend a year, a semester, or a few weeks becoming a global citizen, Study Abroad and Away has a program that will provide you with an amazing opportunity to learn about different cultures and perspectives. Choose your adventure and see what the world has in store for you!
Go for a semester or full year! Explore our long-term programs that allow you to go abroad for a semester or a year:
- SJSU Exchange – pay your regular SJSU tuition and spend a semester or two abroad at one of our partner universities!
- CSU Chancellor's Office International Programs (CSUIP) – spend a year learning the ins and outs of a new country and culture!
- International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) – study in unique locations around the world!
Go for a shorter experience! Check out our short-term programs and study abroad from a week to a whole summer:
- Faculty Led Programs – join SJSU faculty as they lead a cohort of SJSU students while teaching an SJSU course on a short-term program, all the while, experiencing a new culture, meeting locals and doing your coursework as you go!
- Summer School Abroad – experience an international university’s summer school program with locals and students from around the world!
- Alternative Break Programs - explore a new culture and engage in service learning activities in your host community!
Study Abroad information sessions and events are held throughout the year. Click here to check out the calendar of what is coming up next!
Why study abroad or away?
There are many reasons why studying abroad or away can be a great option for you and can greatly benefit your academic, personal and professional growth as an SJSU student. Students who study abroad can:
- Earn credit abroad
- Take classes in another country
- Immerse yourself in another language or culture
- Build a global network
- Develop valuable cross-cultural skills that are essential for today’s global society
- Increase your employability
These are just some of the ways that studying abroad or away can significantly enhance your SJSU experience. Check out the articles below for additional information on the benefits of studying abroad or away:
The CDC issued guidance on March 1, 2020 and advised the postponement or cancellation of all upcoming student foreign exchange programs. The CDC notes, and we believe, that “students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning home or accessing health care while abroad.”
Due to the dynamic nature of the Coronavirus and its impact on travel, the Study Abroad and Away office has taken the following actions in regards to our programs:
- Exchange programs in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, and Spring 2021 Alternative Break programs have been cancelled.
- The travel portion of all Winter 2021 and Summer 2021 Faculty-Led Programs, and Summer 2021 Summer School Abroad programs have been cancelled; the majority of Faculty-Led Programs have transitioned to a virtual format.
All students impacted by cancellations or program transitions have been notified. The Study Abroad and Away office will continue to monitor this evolving situation and will make decisions about future programs and travel as needed.
We encourage you to explore program options for Winter 2022 and Spring 2022 on the Spartans Abroad Portal. Applications are now open for Winter 2022 Faculty-Led Programs.
Please reach out to us at SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for questions or if you need assistance. If an emergency, contact the University Police Department at 408-924-2222.